Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open pdf attachment from emails on iPhone 12 Pro iOS 16

Hello

i am unable to open my pdf attachments in my email acct since updated to iOS 16. It says “ loading” then “ This message cannot be displayed because a problem occurred.”

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 7:34 AM

Hello

I am using the mail app on iPhone 12 Pro with most recent iOS update 16+. Never had been a problem before update to 16. I get the email but the attatchment/PDF will be “ loading” and then I get the error message “This message cannot be displayed because a problem occurred.”

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2022 7:34 AM in response to brbo

Hello

I am using the mail app on iPhone 12 Pro with most recent iOS update 16+. Never had been a problem before update to 16. I get the email but the attatchment/PDF will be “ loading” and then I get the error message “This message cannot be displayed because a problem occurred.”

Sep 30, 2022 4:28 PM in response to RedGasMan

Thank you for your reply.

You might want to try a few things that have proven useful to others.

If the PDF is in any other folder than the Inbox, move it to the Inbox. See if the PDF opens there.

Else:

Delete the eMail, Move the deleted eMail from the Trash / Bin Folder back to the inbox … (seems a bit irregular, yet ... ) the PDF may now open (only works when you view it from the Inbox).

Once open, try share / save the PDF to the Books app where PDF's continue to be viewable.

Sep 29, 2022 10:08 PM in response to RedGasMan

Hi RedGasMan,

Wondering if you are using the "Mail" app when you try to open pdf attachments.

or whether you have a setting in place linking e-mails to another app.

(ie: is Mail app or another app the default for .pdf's)

or

If you have installed a pdf viewer it may be causing compatibility issues, or also be trying to open the pdfs.

Other third-party (non-Apple) apps eg: ad-blockers, virus checkers and the like ) can cause trouble.

or

could your eMail account app (eg Yahoo, Gmail etc.) need updating to be compatible with iOS 16.

or

sometimes simply re-starting an iPhone (or just an app) will solve a glitch.

The articles below depend upon opening the pdf attachment first, yet do show the correct procedure.

How to: Save PDFs to the Books app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

and

Apple support has articles online for iOS16

Read PDF documents in Books on iPhone – Apple Support

Download email attachments in Mail on iPhone – Apple Support

If needed:

Try the iPhone Support Team:

(There's a "Get Support" link (and a support app) at the bottom of their webpage)

iPhone - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Unable to open pdf attachment from emails on iPhone 12 Pro iOS 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.