Why is my iPhone 14 Pro causing headache, nausea and eye strain? PWM Complaint...

Hello,

I purchased an iPhone 14 Pro recently. Ever since using it, I have fallen ill with nausea, headaches and eye strain. Even after using for sure durations (5-10 minutes).

Based on my research, this is due to the PWM (Pulse Wave Modulation) flickering which happens in iPhones (and other phones) with AMOLED screens which use PWM to dim the screen.

I currently use an iPhone 11 (standard) - which has an LCD screen with none of these issues.

Is Apple looking into any ways to fix this problem? Or at very least, continue to release phones with LCD screens for those of use with this issue? The only other phone option with LCD and 5G is the iPhone SE 2022...which is a smaller screen phone.

Thank you.

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 4:44 PM

So glad I’m not the only one having this issue. My family thinks I’m crazy. I was so excited to get the iPhone pro max and loved the phone except that I can’t stand to be near it. Horrible headache and sensation on my skin crawling. I don’t think it’s the screen. It can be sitting on a table in the same room and it causes my symptoms.

133 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 4:44 PM in response to Francois_000

So glad I’m not the only one having this issue. My family thinks I’m crazy. I was so excited to get the iPhone pro max and loved the phone except that I can’t stand to be near it. Horrible headache and sensation on my skin crawling. I don’t think it’s the screen. It can be sitting on a table in the same room and it causes my symptoms.

Feb 18, 2023 8:46 AM in response to WideAwake

I’m the same as you. I’m having to use an iPhone 11 for its LCD screen since even five minutes with any of their other phones besides the SE gives me insane migraines, particularly if I lower the screen brightness (which I need to do because bright light triggers my migraines as well).

I used to buy a the new iPhone model each year outright, however, once they introduced all the new models with only OLED screens (PWM), I had to stop.

I really, really wish I had the option to upgrade to a better phone but I can’t with their current line-up. I’m thankful Apple still has the SE to choose from but the camera and video features are not as good as what I have on my 11 and I’m a vlogger and rely on my iPhone to take my video and pictures.

Apple, if you’re listening: please, please give us migraine sufferers a higher-end model to choose from consistently each year that has an LCD screen option. I’d be willing to bet there’s a lot more of us out there than you realize, than the sufferers’ themselves even realize. You could market them to migraine sufferers to help reduce migraines and I’d be willing to bet you’d make money off them. I’d buy a new iPhone each year again for sure!

Please don’t forget about us with these types of physical limitations - we’re deep in your ecosystem as well and want to stay with you!

Thank you.

Mar 19, 2023 9:22 AM in response to WideAwake

I am having this same problem. I reached out to Apple and was basically told..”sorry that ***** for you”…I have a 14 plus which I can’t use and I am paying on thru my cellphone provider. I had to buy a iPhone SE 3 with an LCD screen to be able to have a phone that I can use that doesn’t give me eye strain, nausea and headaches within 5 min. I’m basically out $900 plus the $400+ I paid for the se. I’m beyond frustrated and feel like Apple got my money and wiped their hands of me and basically told me to bad so sad you don’t fit in with Apple. I’ve had an iPhone since the 4… I noticed I stated having issues when I switch from the XR to the 12mini and then 13 but didn’t figure out what the problem was until the 14 plus. I’m really disappointed and disheartened. Not sure what I will do if Apple doesn’t implement some sort of changes or help for people like me in regard to future phones. Bring back LCD options or find a way to improve OLED. OLED is a bigger problem than they want to acknowledge. Many people are getting sick and don’t realize it’s their iPhone causing it. This issue isn’t going to go away. I believe as people become more aware, it will only get worse.

Oct 1, 2022 6:57 PM in response to deggie

Hi, Im not sure what you’re trying to prove? As only 10% is affected that means it’s not wide spread? As 90% are not affected? Apple focuses a lot of their accessibility settings on minority of people with disabilities, so fixing something that affects their users would be part of their priority….maybe your not personally affected, as your one of the 90%

Oct 13, 2022 12:59 PM in response to Wstudiosite

Sorry but who says that PWM issues does not exist is trying to promote the phones which cause these issues, I have PWM issues with Samsung phones as well! I know that Samsung is also involved with the new iPhones. Apple could continue to make lcd screens such as SE at least 6.1 inch and perhaps a 6.7 version and the rest Amoled or OLED if they don’t or can’t resolve the headache issues. Please don’t use fake customer comments who claim PWM does not exist as this is insulting those who really want to upgrade but cannot because of Pwm. I have been to ophthalmologists had scans etc but as soon as I reverted back to my iPhone lcd 11 I was fine as well as my Honor 20 pro which is LCD. Just because there are more customers( you claim) don’t have this issue doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist it’s like saying for example that because the majority of people don’t have Lime disease does not mean it doesn’t exist, that’s just ignorance because the attitude is as I don’t have it then it means it doesn’t exist!

Oct 29, 2022 4:41 AM in response to kjguillen

That headache from iPhone 14 is real. Some people on here will tell you that it’s not caused by the phone but I experienced it myself. That’s why brought me to this page in the first place. There are a couple of guys here who will bully you into believing that’s it’s not from your phone. I know it’s weird that they’d do that. But right after I stopped using my iPhone 14 and went back to 11 my headache completely disappeared.

Jan 29, 2024 1:10 AM in response to wmustang

wmustang wrote:

Obviously not the right words, BUT tech at Apple Store agreed 14 and 15 do "communicate" or whatever the technical term is, differently, or possibly with more strength, because of the safety features that began with the 14 i.e. if you're lost, out of range, let's say in the mountains, 14 or 15 will find a satellite. If you're in an accident they will notify.

Not PWM because it happens while just holding and not looking at the screen.

Unless you're somewhere with absolutely no cell signal, that type of communication simply does not occur.

I suggest you visit your physician, as RF sensitivity is not a verifiable diagnosis.

Oct 29, 2022 9:34 AM in response to magsemail

An Opthamologist can confirm the sensitivity and determine where you are on the scale. They also can report your data (anonymously) to the FDA, CDC and NIH to establish data points, possibly come up with a name for this, and possibly locate grant funds to do further research. They cannot cure it or treat it at this time. But you can be part of needed research.

Why is my iPhone 14 Pro causing headache, nausea and eye strain? PWM Complaint...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.