Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod does not play songs from Apple Music

When I say to the HomePod, “Hey Siri, play China Grove by the Doobie Brothers,” the HomePod will reply, “I couldn’t find China Grove by the Doobie Brothers in your Apple Music library.”

My iCloud ID is ********@mac.com. I have had it since the iTools days. I never did use it as an email account. When the Apple iTunes Store opened, I used my regular email account to purchase content, and I use it for that purpose still today. In my Apple ID settings

(see attached iPhone screenshots) I am able to have both email addresses registered. My subscription to Apple On is also through ********@u********.com (see corresponding screenshot).

The HomePod supposedly knows about subscriptions through ********@u********.com:

The relevant settings are shown in the attached screenshots.

I think, this is a bug, which has persisted through the past few HomePod OS updates.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

HomePod mini, 16

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 3:28 PM

Okay. Just solved it with the help of an AppleCare agent walking me through these steps:

1. On my iPhone, remove OpenVPN app and OpenVPN profile in Settings → General → VPN & Device Management → VPN → ℹ︎ (with a circle around it). Tap on “Delete VPN.”
  2. Remove the OpenVPN app.
  3. Reset the network settings in Settings → General → Transfer or Reset iPhone → Reset Network Settings.
  4. On reboot of the iPhone, reconfigure (a) name of phone in Settings → General → About, (b) reconnect to the WiFi network in Settings → Wi-Fi.

On the HomePod

1. Initiate the factory reset procedure according to Apple’s instructions.
  2. When the HomePod is waiting to set up, lock the iPhone and unlock it and follow the setup instructions that come up on the phone’s home screen.

This fixed it for me. I hope, it will for you guys.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2022 3:28 PM in response to D. Hoffmann

Okay. Just solved it with the help of an AppleCare agent walking me through these steps:

1. On my iPhone, remove OpenVPN app and OpenVPN profile in Settings → General → VPN & Device Management → VPN → ℹ︎ (with a circle around it). Tap on “Delete VPN.”
  2. Remove the OpenVPN app.
  3. Reset the network settings in Settings → General → Transfer or Reset iPhone → Reset Network Settings.
  4. On reboot of the iPhone, reconfigure (a) name of phone in Settings → General → About, (b) reconnect to the WiFi network in Settings → Wi-Fi.

On the HomePod

1. Initiate the factory reset procedure according to Apple’s instructions.
  2. When the HomePod is waiting to set up, lock the iPhone and unlock it and follow the setup instructions that come up on the phone’s home screen.

This fixed it for me. I hope, it will for you guys.

Oct 2, 2022 5:32 PM in response to D. Hoffmann

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, D. Hoffmann!

we understand you're having trouble getting some songs to play through your HomePod mini. We'd be happy to help you troubleshoot this.

Check to see if setting up voice recognition helps:

Set up voice recognition on HomePod mini or HomePod - Apple Support

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Nov 8, 2022 3:56 PM in response to rockstarpatches

Same problem here… Incredibly frustrating. What’s funny is I can ask Google to play songs from Apple Music and it’s not a problem at all on my Nest Minis… Why on earth Apple devices won’t play Apple Music is beyond my comprehension.

my HomePod and HomePod Minis sound much better than my Google nest… Unfortunately, if I want to listen to Apple Music, I have to use my Google devices.

As for Apples crappy, “you need to connect with Apple for help…”, isn’t that what this forum is for?

Homepod does not play songs from Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.