Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Import Original MP3 Files Into Music?

I purchase mp3 files directly from musicians. I would like to copy them to my iPhone 12 mini so that I can listen when I'm out and about. How can I import these into Music, or alternatively, directly onto my iPhone?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 7:55 AM

9 replies

Oct 3, 2022 10:36 AM in response to turingtest2

That would be nice if it worked. But it doesn't for me. I even attempted to create a new iTunes library but when I attempt to import and locate the files on disk, nothing happens. Same with syncing to my phone.

2020 MacBook Pro M1, macOS Monterey 12.6, iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 15.6.1).

I've also tried on my 2017 MacBook Pro (i7, macOS Monterey 12.6).

Oct 3, 2022 1:02 PM in response to turingtest2

Well, now we're getting somewhere. Sort of. On my 2017 MacBook Pro, I copied the m4v files to the "Automatically Add to Music" folder and when I launched Music, there they were. But then, when I plugged my phone in, I wasn't able to copy them. So, I went back to my M1 MacBook Pro, and when I copied the same files to the "Automatically Add to Music" folder and launched Music, nothing happened.

I miss the days when Apple was the image of "user friendly" interface design. The company has now turned into another Microsoft, forcing everyone into its world view. I used to be able to "Add to Library" in iTunes and then copy to my phone with just a couple of clicks. Apple has done away with iPods, and pretty soon it will be impossible to play non-Apple branded/purchased music on any Apple device (those cheap mp3 players at Best Buy are beginning to look very attractive!).

Oct 3, 2022 11:14 AM in response to RestonMacGuy

There is a potential issue, more usually associated with mp3 files ripped from YouTube, when the files are, in fact, in AAC format and should have a .m4a file extension. Music will silently reject files it sees as being incorrectly formatted. Changing the file extension is a workaround. Test with a sample track to see if does the trick. To confirm Music is actively rejecting files copy them into the Automatically Add to Music folder in your media folder. If they go to a Not Added folder you will know there is an issue, if not exactly what it is.

See also Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community.

tt2

Oct 3, 2022 1:11 PM in response to RestonMacGuy

On the M1 MacBook Pro press and hold down option as you launch Music and explicitly select the Music Library.musiclibrary file that you think your library should be using. Under Music > Preferences > Files make sure that you know the location of your active media folder. Try adding files again via Automatically Add to Music. What happens?

What can't you sync or manually add content from the 2017 MBP? Are there any error messages when you try?

tt2

How To Import Original MP3 Files Into Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.