Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use Face ID and passcode on iPhone 14 pro?

If I set up Face ID and want to loan my phone to my husband without disabling Face ID, can I just give him a passcode? Or do I have to choose one or the other?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 7:21 PM

If you want, you can do one of the two things below or both:

1. Give him the passcode and he will enter that manually when Face ID fails. AND/OR
  2. You can also create an alternate Face ID (additional Face ID) on your iPhone. The alternate Face ID will be of his face. Both of your Face IDs will be saved to the iPhone and both of you will be able to unlock the iPhone with your respective Face IDs. NOTE If you decide to remove the Alternate Face ID at a later date, then you will have to setup your Face ID again. To set an Alternate Face ID, open Settings ➡️ Face ID & Passcode ➡️ Setup an Alternate Appearance.

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 7:21 PM in response to Reflecting

If you want, you can do one of the two things below or both:

1. Give him the passcode and he will enter that manually when Face ID fails. AND/OR
  2. You can also create an alternate Face ID (additional Face ID) on your iPhone. The alternate Face ID will be of his face. Both of your Face IDs will be saved to the iPhone and both of you will be able to unlock the iPhone with your respective Face IDs. NOTE If you decide to remove the Alternate Face ID at a later date, then you will have to setup your Face ID again. To set an Alternate Face ID, open Settings ➡️ Face ID & Passcode ➡️ Setup an Alternate Appearance.

Axel F.

Oct 4, 2022 7:28 PM in response to Reflecting

Just FYI, it is impossible to setup either FaceID or TouchID without first setting up a screen lock passcode. So your screen lock passcode is always available as an option and will be required at times, such as after operating system updates or power cycling a device. FaceID and TouchID are alternatives to a passcode, but are not replacements for a passcode.

Also, if using FaceID or touchID most of the time, you can always also switch from a simple screen lock passcode to a complex alphanumeric screen lock password instead, for added security, if you wish.

Oct 4, 2022 7:29 PM in response to Reflecting

If you just give him the passcode then he will be able to unlock using the passcode. You will still be able to use your Face ID normally.

If you created an Alternate Face ID for him, then he can use his Face ID to unlock your iPhone. You can also give the passcode as well in the event that the iPhone asks for it before activating Face ID at times. YOU will still be able to use your Face ID normally in this situation as well.

Axel F.

Can you use Face ID and passcode on iPhone 14 pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.