Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Hub drains battery? Macbook Air M1

Has anyone used the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and if so does it behave the same as the after market ones. I have the Ugreen 6 in 1 at $23 the apple one only has 1 USB-C, USB and HDMI and like everything else apple is $85 so important to know if there is a difference. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 8:48 PM

garyfromkeswick Said:

"USB-C Hub drains battery? Macbook Air M1: Has anyone used the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and if so does it behave the same as the after market ones.[...]"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Based On Personal Experience:

Likely So. This is the adapter I use. Exporting to my projector, power adapter, and laptop cooler, this has always worked just fine. Using a third-party adapter doesn't always work. Apple is proprietary, meaning they usually go Apple-for-Apple. But, a third-party adapter may work. I use wouldn't use it on my expensive Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2022 8:48 PM in response to garyfromkeswick

garyfromkeswick Said:

"USB-C Hub drains battery? Macbook Air M1: Has anyone used the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and if so does it behave the same as the after market ones.[...]"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

Based On Personal Experience:

Likely So. This is the adapter I use. Exporting to my projector, power adapter, and laptop cooler, this has always worked just fine. Using a third-party adapter doesn't always work. Apple is proprietary, meaning they usually go Apple-for-Apple. But, a third-party adapter may work. I use wouldn't use it on my expensive Mac.

Oct 7, 2022 10:34 AM in response to TheLittles

Are you suggesting that after market will damage my computer? Based on your reply of likely so sounds like you have never checked how much battery drain the Apple adapter is actually having. This is a pretty simple check by removing the adapter and seeing how long it takes before the computer needs to be recharged and comparing it to your normal recharge cycle. I look forward to your reply after you have done the check.

USB-C Hub drains battery? Macbook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.