Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Renaming in Finder, Monterey

What are best practices for renaming any finder entry, beyond hitting return? I notice renaming using a menu (on my keys it's Control-click) is pretty permanent, but is it necessary to do this everywhere? As in, when the cursor is parked for 4 second over a file, it's highlighted and I can change the title by hitting return and it works, but only until it goes somewhere. Then default names are back. Hasn't this been going on for decades?

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 2:06 AM

Rename files, folders, and disks on Mac

This is predicated on the Renaming is done within the Home Folder ( User account ) which the user has direct control over.

3 replies

Oct 9, 2022 4:07 AM in response to Jed Fish Gould

I don’t understand what you are trying to do. You can select a file, press return, type the new name, and press return again. No need to wait 4 seconds.

What do you mean by “it works but only until it goes somewhere “. What are the “default names”. It seems to me that maybe you start typing and then click somewhere else, is that it? Just press return to confirm the new name.

FWIW, this has always worked reliably as far as I can tell. Since it apparently does not work for you then maybe there is something specific to your setup pr maybe we need to understand better.

Please elaborate.

Renaming in Finder, Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.