iPhone 14 Pro Max overheating

Past couple days my iPhone14 Pro Max has been overheating. I have restarted it 3 times in the past two days.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 12:45 AM

Because the vast majority of users are having no such issues.

You can follow the advice here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, contact Apple Support directly:

Contact - Official Apple Support

125 replies

Oct 12, 2022 12:35 AM in response to RuckU2

My iphone 14 Pro Max is overheating!!! ;-( when dping simple things like browsing the web, and when charging, none of my other iphones have ever done that? I have tried all the fixes, and it was temporary and came back, there is so much on the net at the moment about people complaining why isnt apple doing anything about it? IOS updates dont fix the problem either??? Its an expensive phone!

Oct 27, 2022 10:11 AM in response to RuckU2

I’ve owned a iphone 14 promax within days of its release. It’s been overheating shortly after. It happens often; it doesn’t prompt me

to shut down but it does give me the warning of too hot, not charging. I’m using the leather case sold by apple. I’ve owned iPhones my entire life and this is definitely not normal. I’ve never had a phone hot all of time for no reason. It’s happening as I’m typing this lol

Apr 11, 2023 7:41 PM in response to JBNV

There's nothing wrong with the phones in general, so there's no reason to recall them. There are literally tens of millions of iPhone 14s out there, and complaints about heating usually narrow down to a rogue app:

If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

Regardless, if you think there is an issue with your phone, make an appointment to have it examined:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

or contact Apple Support directly:

Jun 9, 2023 7:09 PM in response to JBNV

There are tens of millions of iPhone 14 owners, and those of us who have been here for quite a while know what it looks like when there is an issue that is even somewhat common… and this one is not.

But as always, the best advice is, if you think it's an issue with your particular device, make an appointment to have it examined:

If you think it's iOS, contact Apple Support directly:

Jun 10, 2023 12:41 PM in response to Biscuit-eater

It doesn't need to "come out"; it won't be solved unless those experiencing it follow the advice I gave:

If you think it's an issue with your particular device, make an appointment to have it examined:

If you think it's iOS, contact Apple Support directly:

I and many, many people I know personally use their 14 Pro Max in this manner daily, and have no overheating or other issues; there's some additional factor that causes these issues for those experiencing it.

Oct 31, 2023 5:17 PM in response to chip292

chip292 wrote:

Excellent!? What you are calling excellent comparatively speaking to a 13pro that had 94% for 2 years until ios17 happened to it.

Again, it's normal and expected for you to lose 1-2% of battery health per month of use of your device.

If your battery falls below 80% within one year of ownership, Apple will replace your battery for free under warranty.

If your Battery Health changed after installing iOS 17, it was solely due to more accurate calculation of your battery's health.

However, if you think it is incorrect or there is another issue, your best bet is to contact Apple Support directly:

Feb 20, 2023 7:56 AM in response to MinhChiNgo

Unfortunately it seems there is reluctance in getting replacement devices for people who are having excessive heat being generated by their phones. What suggestions come to mind would be the following:

• If at all possible use a thermometer gun when your phone gets hot to get a solid data to be able to present to Apple reps. If you don't have one, I just searched "thermometer gun", and saw some in the $20 range. I am sure there is software that will give the running temperature, but if you are already suspecting the device to not be running properly, an independent means of measurement would help eliminate that potential inaccuracy. This on its own will help you know better what you are experiencing, and if going to Apple reps, you would be able to eliminate the subjective "what is hot for one person might not be hot for the next" type of thing. Though all electronics will generate heat, their ability to effectively dissipate it is what will help keep your device working the best in the long run.

• Write/record when you notice it getting hot (date/time/location of phone/surrounding temperature/phone temperature/apps running at the time/case on the phone/charging or not/etc.) until you get maybe a few days or a weeks worth of data. It should help in identifying potential additional factors/causes if there are any. Again this will help if contacting an Apple agent for diagnosing.

• Try a different Apple repair location and see if you get any different answers from talking with someone else. Sometimes talking to a different person will make all the difference as well.

From reading the different experiences people have had with their devices, interactions with support, feedback from different users in multiple forums, I think that recording some data to use when reporting the problem will help in getting away from a fairly common first tier support assumption that the user may be a little overly sensitive, not using the device properly or not correctly remembering events/details (first tier support is typically the first representative you speak with, which is able to diagnose/fix/filter most of the reported problems). Taking the extra time to get this kind of info ahead of time may help avoid headaches when trying to get help. The phones are supposed to shut down to avoid catastrophic heat failures, same as their are supposed operate at a certain level of performance. Just because your phone does not continuously shut down due to high temperatures, it does not mean that it is working at the desired (user and/or manufacturer) level of performance.

I hope that this may be of help to you or anyone looking for help. Unfortunately it isn't a guaranteed way get something immediately repaired, but it should help either get you the additional data to make your case, or figure out if something else may be to blame.

Nov 7, 2022 3:27 AM in response to RuckU2

Hi, I have the similar issue after getting my 14PM. Went to Apple Store. Diagnosis checked, nothing unusual but deep down in our heart we know it’s not normal. I went to hard resetting my iphone. Meaning to say reset it only with iCloud photo back up. It turns out the phone back to normal. I think the root of cause is when we map everything from old iPhone to new iPhone, it just don’t work. Attached is my battery life after usage. Hope it helps.

Nov 1, 2022 8:05 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Bought iphone 14 pro and 14 pro max both overheating with normal use !!! I visit apple and they say it’s normal 😄😄really !! It was hot like a **** and they said no it’s normal , then they run a diagnostic and tell me the results it ok 👍😂 now i have two issues my iphones overheating and the diagnostic that made by apple

iPhone 14 Pro Max overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.