Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Apple Cinema Display with "Mini DisplayPort" cable to Apple computer with no Mini DisplayPort?

Is it possible, using some kind of adapter or converter, to connect an Apple Cinema Display that has only a Mini DisplayPort cable, to any Apple device that does NOT have a receiving Mini DisplayPort? Or is there some fundamental technical limitation that prevents this, so that no adapter or converter will ever make a successful connection, and the ONLY way to successfully use this type of Apple Cinema Display is to connect it with an Apple device that does have a built-in Mini DisplayPort?

Specifically, I'm currently talking about a 2010-era 27" Apple LED Cinema Display (which connects to other devices via a Mini DisplayPort cable) and a 2015-era 12" MacBook (Retina) (which doesn't have a Mini DisplayPort), but I could possibly access other Apple computers (none of which have a Mini DisplayPort), so my question is more about this type of connection in general.

(Not sure if the operating system matters, but in case it does, the MacBook is running Big Sur 11.6.2 -- however I could upgrade to Monterey if that would help.)

I see various third-party Mini DisplayPort adapter cables for sale online, but none of them are very clear in their descriptions as to whether or not they would work connecting to a USB-C port (as with the 12" MacBook Retina) or which devices are supported.

Any info or clarifications on this topic in general (the convertability of Mini DisplayPort connections) would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 2:13 PM

Reviewing the technical specifications listed on the link you posted indicates that the MacBook in question supports DisplayPort v1.2. output via a USB-C 3.0 port. I was able to find several inexpensive adapters on Amazon that support connecting a Mini DisplayPort monitor to a computer via USB-C. It is my opinion that such an adapter would suit your needs.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2022 2:13 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

Reviewing the technical specifications listed on the link you posted indicates that the MacBook in question supports DisplayPort v1.2. output via a USB-C 3.0 port. I was able to find several inexpensive adapters on Amazon that support connecting a Mini DisplayPort monitor to a computer via USB-C. It is my opinion that such an adapter would suit your needs.

How to connect Apple Cinema Display with "Mini DisplayPort" cable to Apple computer with no Mini DisplayPort?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.