Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

CarPlay Black Screen with ios 16 update

Hi - since upgrading an iphone 12 max to ios 16 I have been getting a black screen when plugging in and selecting carplay. The carplay icon appears on the infotainment unit but when it is selected it goes black and there's nothing thru the system. I downgraded to ios15 again and it worked for a while but then randomly got the black screen again - upgraded to 16.0.2 and same.

I've deleted all the profiles in carplay, checked siri, checked usb connection is active but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 11:47 AM

Hi blueuk808,

If CarPlay is not working as expected, you can follow the additional troubleshooting steps in If you need help with CarPlay:

"Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS. If your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, follow these steps — checking CarPlay after each step:

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
    • If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
    • If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth.

2. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display.

3. Restart your iPhone and your car. 

4. Make sure that Siri is on.

5. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.

6. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.

7. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support."

Take care.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 11:47 AM in response to blueuk808

Hi blueuk808,

If CarPlay is not working as expected, you can follow the additional troubleshooting steps in If you need help with CarPlay:

"Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS. If your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS, follow these steps — checking CarPlay after each step:

1. Check your connection to your CarPlay stereo:
    • If you have a wired connection, try connecting again with a different USB cable to a different USB port if you have one.
    • If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are enabled under Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth.

2. If CarPlay doesn't activate automatically, look for the CarPlay logo on your car's display.

3. Restart your iPhone and your car. 

4. Make sure that Siri is on.

5. If your iPhone isn't detected by CarPlay, make sure that CarPlay isn't restricted. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions, tap Allowed Apps and make sure that CarPlay is enabled.

6. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap your car, then tap Forget This Car. Then set up CarPlay again.

7. Make sure that your CarPlay stereo is using the latest firmware from the car manufacturer. Check your car's manual for more information.

If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support."

Take care.

Oct 18, 2022 10:41 AM in response to blueuk808

Not sure if this helps, but I have a Corvette with Carplay that's added as custom firmware to their infotainment unit that doesn't come with Carplay as standard.

I ended up both erasing all content and settings on the iphone and also deleting all personalised settings on the infotainment unit. This got Carplay working again. I think in my case it was removing the personalised settings on the car rather than the erasing all content and settings.

This seemed to be the case while upgrading to 16.0.3 a few days ago. But also today, I had my battery changed and Carplay went black screen while already on 16.0.3. I did the reset on both the car and the phone and it came back.

There's a setting on the corvette called remove personalised radio settings or something like that. It then tells you to switch off the car engine and keep the door open for a minute to reset it - that seems to be the trick - the full infotainment reset.

Anyway - hope some of this helps

Oct 20, 2022 11:26 AM in response to blueuk808

Actually - the post above didn't work. Went black screen again today with no update to the phone - completely random. Tried to reset the infotainment and wouldn't work. I guess it needs a full phone reset again.

Still think this is a problem. I can confirm I have had this only in the last 2 weeks but on ios 15 and 16 on all versions and it's intermittent.

Oct 23, 2022 3:24 AM in response to cbbbb

Sadly, there is no update for my infotainment system, so even if there was a discpute involving Chevvy, I doubty that would cause the problem in my case.

I reset the phone and tried again and now that solution doesn't work.

The only apps I use with Carplay that aren't "standard" is waze and spotify - so unless there is some compatibility issue with those then I have no idea

Kind of out of options now.

Nov 4, 2022 1:55 PM in response to blueuk808

2017 Panamera here, mine has been working without issue on all my cars and only started having issues in the last few weeks. As others have pointed out this might be since I upgraded to 16.0.3, I’ve done all of the above from erasing settings, removing devices from car, removing car from CarPlay, switching cables. I even upgraded from an iPhone 12 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max in the same period, black screen before and after.

i thought it was the car but it seems to work intermittently on our 2017 Audi Q7.

16.1 is out now, I’ll try upgrading and report back.

Jan 16, 2023 12:21 PM in response to blueuk808

I drive a e39 bmw 530i with an after market slink apple carplay stereo it’s pretty standard, I use my iPhone 14 to connect, it was working perfectly last night. Then this morning and when I tried to connect, it connected and I heard my music but the screen was stuck in the connecting screen and then just went play with my music still playing. There is an update for iOS 16.2 so I’ll try updating to that and see if it works. This is my first time ever having this issue

Jan 21, 2023 8:46 AM in response to blueuk808

I have the Volvo xc60 recharge - CarPlay was a blank /black screen all week. Just got off phone with tech support. Hold the oval home button down and do not release as the system “cleans” and reboots. It took a minute or longer of holding button but then Home Screen reappeared and apply CarPlay was back!

CarPlay Black Screen with ios 16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.