Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The new Continuity Camera feature in MacOS 13 is not working with M1 Mac mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max

The new Continuity Camera feature in MacOS 13 is not working on my M1 Mac mini with my iPhone 12 Pro Max unless I connect another external USB webcam to the Mac. What's the point of that?! Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 4:56 PM

7 replies

Oct 24, 2022 7:48 PM in response to Andrew Desics

Andrew Desics wrote:

The new Continuity Camera feature in MacOS 13 is not working on my M1 Mac mini with my iPhone 12 Pro Max unless I connect another external USB webcam to the Mac. What's the point of that?! Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Continuity Camera: Use your iPhone or iPad to scan documents or take a picture on your Mac - Apple Support

if no insight or resolve—

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 24, 2022 11:04 PM in response to daleshin

Make sure you followed these steps exactly - Use your iPhone as a webcam on your Mac - Apple Support

If it still doesn't work, check the following:
1. Connect it to your Mac with a USB cable and check again. (If it’s already connected with a cable, disconnect it and reconnect it.)
2. Check the following:
- Your iPhone is an iPhone XR or later (with iOS 16 or later).
- Your iPhone has Continuity Camera Webcam turned on in Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff.
- Your iPhone recognizes the Mac as a trusted computer. See the Apple Support article About the ‘Trust -This Computer’ alert on your iPhone or iPad.
- Your iPhone and Mac have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and two-factor authentication turned on.
- Your iPhone and Mac are signed in with the same Apple ID. (This feature doesn’t work with Managed Apple IDs.)
- Your iPhone and Mac are within 30 feet of each other.
- Your iPhone is not sharing its cellular connection, and your Mac is not sharing its internet connection.

Oct 26, 2022 2:15 AM in response to leroydouglas

Ok, I solved my problem. The key part for me was to ensure that the iPhone is "Positioned with its rear cameras facing you and unobstructed", as described here: Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac – Apple Support (UK)

I was trying to initiate the continuity camera while the iPhone was situated on a desk, with the camera face down.

Oct 24, 2022 11:50 PM in response to daleshin

That’s exactly the same as my experience. I should have added that the first time I tried using continuity camera immediately after upgrading to Ventura using QuickTime, it worked perfectly. However I couldn’t get it to work at all after that. Ventura just behaves as if I have no camera connected, basically as it would behave on Monterey.

Somehow, having a usb webcam connected as well seems to kick the continuity camera feature into life and it seems to work again, but absolutely no joy if I disconnect the usb webcam again.

The new Continuity Camera feature in MacOS 13 is not working with M1 Mac mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.