Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuity Camera Not working

Just installed Mac Ventura on my Mac Studio and updated my iPhone 14 pro max iOS 16.1 and Continuity Camera just refuses to work. I had it running for second then I plugged the iPhone in to the Mac but the moment you unplug it stops. I try turning Continuity Camera on and off. I’ve try signing out of cloud on both Mac and iPhone and still doesn’t work any ideas ?

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 2:05 PM

I just got off the phone with Apple Support.... fixed! Turns out it was not really broken. The iPhone must be near the Mac, LOCKED and in LANDSCAPE mode (the phone on its LONG SIDE) with the rear camera facing you! Read the instructions below.

Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

24 replies

Oct 26, 2022 12:47 PM in response to tremere76uk

I have the same issue. Worked once wirelessly, now only when plugged into iPhone. I have tried reinstalling Ventura, and reinstalled iOS 16 on the iPhone 12 Pro. Numerous restarts, flipping switches, made certain Bluetooth was on for both devices and that they were both on the same WiFi network. Logged out / in to my Apple account...... blah blah blah.... still nothing. At this point I believe Apple needs to address the issue.

Had an Apple chat last night. Call from Apple senior tech this morning. Call was dropped and they DID NOT call back. That ****** me off a bit!

Would be a nice feature but tired of chasing it. I'm out.

Oct 26, 2022 2:21 PM in response to tremere76uk

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Oct 25, 2022 11:27 AM in response to tremere76uk

Make sure you followed these steps exactly - Use your iPhone as a webcam on your Mac - Apple Support

If it still doesn't work, check the following:
1. Connect it to your Mac with a USB cable and check again. (If it’s already connected with a cable, disconnect it and reconnect it.)
2. Check the following:
- Your iPhone is an iPhone XR or later (with iOS 16 or later).
- Your iPhone has Continuity Camera Webcam turned on in Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff.
- Your iPhone recognizes the Mac as a trusted computer. See the Apple Support article About the ‘Trust -This Computer’ alert on your iPhone or iPad.
- Your iPhone and Mac have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and two-factor authentication turned on.
- Your iPhone and Mac are signed in with the same Apple ID. (This feature doesn’t work with Managed Apple IDs.)
- Your iPhone and Mac are within 30 feet of each other.
- Your iPhone is not sharing its cellular connection, and your Mac is not sharing its internet connection.

Nov 2, 2022 11:18 AM in response to Smorticula

If it works in Safe Mode but no when you boot normally it means that there some 3rd party software that's interfering with it;

Therefore, download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Nov 28, 2022 7:22 PM in response to tremere76uk

I did some searching and what works for me is the use of a 'decoy camera'. I plug in a/nother USB webcam, then then FaceTime recognizes my iPhone 13 Pro Max (iPhoneOS 16). I subsequently 'disconnected' from the iPhone on the iphone, and I got the message to add this as a camera, plug it in with a cable. This also worked.

This needs to be submitted as a defect and fixed, imo.

Oct 25, 2022 4:25 PM in response to tremere76uk

I followed the step of connecting and disconnecting my iPhone to my MacStudio via a USB cable so that it was recognized as "Trusted".

Then, I toggled "Continuity Camera" off on my iPhone 13 Pro.

Click through on "Settings" again and turn it back on.

The setting on your iPhone is found here: "Settings -> AirPlay & Handoff". Turn OFF the "Continuity Camera". Mine was on for some reason (had never been used).

Works great now. wow! picture is little TOO clear for me... I need a shave...

shawnpb64

Continuity Camera Not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.