Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail Crashes in Ventura

I installed Ventura this morning and Aplle Mail stays open for approx 2 seconds before closing/crashing. Does the same in Safe Boot.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 10:35 AM

Yes. It appears the indexing thread is crashing.

Thread 14 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.email.searchableIndex.batch.com.apple.mail.contentIndex

This is followed by what is probably a stack trace of 510 510 EmailCore 0x1c7c2da64 _parseComment + 352

[Edited by Moderator]

45 replies

Oct 26, 2022 8:22 AM in response to mumbles2701

No, actually, yours looks like a different problem. (That's not good!) Here's one of my crash logs (I should have posted this originally...)

Some more "highlights"

Crashed Thread: 17 Dispatch queue: com.apple.email.searchableIndex.batch.com.apple.mail.contentIndex

Thread 17 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.email.searchableIndex.batch.com.apple.mail.contentIndex

0 EmailCore 0x1c7c2d79c _parseFWS + 4

1 EmailCore 0x1c7c2d9dc _parseComment + 216

2 EmailCore 0x1c7c2da64 _parseComment + 352

(And a bunch more entries like this, 510 of them. That's when the stack overflow is detected, I suspect....)

Oct 27, 2022 7:14 AM in response to mumbles2701

I just wanted to give a brief update on what I have tried to save everyone having the problem time and sanity. Again, mine is crashing the first letter that I type in the search field. IMMEDIATE. I have fully reinstalled Ventura and it is still crashing. Where it is a spotlight/search problem, I rebuilt the spotlight index by dragging the HD into the privacy field and back. Direction are here! It is still crashing. I am not sure if someone from Apple reads this, but this is a significant problem. Very frustrating. I hate Ventura.

Oct 26, 2022 12:08 PM in response to D.E. Emery

I do not know whether this might help, or if my problem might recur, but in reading "Mail App Quit Unexpectedly on Mac: 10 Ways to Fix it" on the site https://www.howtoisolve.com/mail-keeps-crashing-on-mac-macbook/, I noted point #6 [Delete Mail Preference Files].

I followed that recommendation, and deleted both files, rebooted, and opened Mail. The problem appears to be corrected. I hope that this might be of benefit to others.

Oct 27, 2022 5:05 AM in response to D.E. Emery

I am having similar issues and 100% agree that this is unacceptable!! Heads should roll at Apple. The QA tester isn't the person responsible for releasing this OS with such an OBVIOUS bug. It is project managements responsibility. It was someone in project management that made a determination of what should be done with the results reported by QA testers. That is assuming a detailed testing process is being used by Apple any longer. It is a VERY expensive process as Microsoft found out many years ago. That why they started releasing bug ridden software on the public and let the users become a source of free QA testers. Looks like Apple is headed in that same direction. I worked in financial/customer service systems development for a major utility for over 10+ yrs. I developed and ran QA tests as well as worked with programmers during the entire project lifecycle from beginning to end so I am familiar with how this SHOULD work and it should NOT happen this way.

Oct 27, 2022 6:07 AM in response to D.E. Emery

Just to give a sense of the size of my mail folder:

V10 trimmed reports 28.22gb, for 300,676 items. The largest folder of older email is 75gb for 671,513 items. So I'd guess the mail folder that was handled just fine by the previous version of Mail.app had about 100gb and 1m items.

(I'm not bragging here, just trying to lay out the dimensions of my situation. I -hope- someone from Apple actually reads this stuff and is working on a fix. I'd sure like to get -all my email- back into Mail.app.)

In my case, it's quite clear from the crash reporting that the indexing thread is what's crashing, and that was a major area of change for Ventura, I believe. So deleting prefs, etc, would probably not change that.

Oct 28, 2022 3:56 AM in response to mumbles2701

a day later...

more stable but still not stable enough. I initially removed an Exchange account and readded it and Mail was stable. At some point today when i wasnt looking at my machine, Mail crashed, and reverted to immediate crashing again. Turned off Exchange account. Now stable ish.

It is doing other things to not give me any confidence in this;

Stuttering on scrolling occaisionally,

Emails not previewign occaisionally,

Email Search Folders not updating for hours when email is in the InBox

Not sure what i should do about my wortk exchange account which is fine on every single other device and has been for years, and is now not ok on Apple Mail. My work arent going to investigate all their systems for just me and my crashes. They are likely to say, rightly so, that the newer software will be the issue, not theirs.

Nov 10, 2022 11:48 PM in response to mumbles2701

im still the same, i have 2 emails of 11 active, one is iCloud. I need them all. No reasoning why when i switch any others on that Mail instantly crashes.

I deleted and readded then turned on, no change.

Apple support say their remit is to icloud email address only and all other issues are down to the servers which the other email resides on, which isnt very helpful

Nov 12, 2022 11:58 PM in response to haughey2

I have the same problem: when I try to search in Mail it crashes. I have a MacBook Pro with M1 chip. The problem started when I upgraded to Ventura. I've now updated to Ventura 13.0.1 but it's still the same. It's extremely problematic and makes using Mail very difficult. I'm considering ditching Ventura and going back to Monterrey as I can't work with Mail in this state.

Nov 15, 2022 4:47 AM in response to mumbles2701

It's consistent with the assessments that the problems are with handling specific content or amounts of content in the Mail folder... In my case, after reducing the number of messages, Mail has been stable. I have not seen the other search issues, but I note the 'status' window shows an "Indexing..." bar that has not moved past about the 5% mark since I installed Ventura.

Nov 15, 2022 6:00 AM in response to D.E. Emery

Had yet another session with Apple Support on this. He seemed to think that my install of Ventura didnt install properly.

I had already added 1 of my emails to a 2nd User account 'Test' and that was stable. Ive now added all 8 email addressed and is stable. The Plan is to run on Test user until i think its ok, and move across to this new user and remove old user.

Also when on Test user, i noted that some of my apps reappeared which had not appeared on my original User, iStat menus being one. This gave more credence to the problem install of Ventura

Apple Mail Crashes in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.