Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet Connection dropped to Printer

When I wake up the Mac Studio from Sleep Mode the printer (Canon pro 2000) shows up as "offline".

The printer is connected directly from the computers ethernet port, using a new 5 metre Cat6 cable.

If I shutdown/restart the printer the ethernet connection is again established. The printer is connected via a self assigned IPv4 address. which is shown active when the printer is offline.

The Canon print driver is up to date, System OS is 12.6. I have reset the print setting in Preferences > Printer Scanners and reset the printer to factory defaults.

I understand that there has been reports of possible issues with Mac Studio ethernet port, or could this be a a problem at the computer end. I have had the Studio since May and this issue has only appeared in the last two weeks. The only changes made since then have been updates to the OS.

Thank you for your help.

Mac Studio

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 11:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 6:20 AM

<< Regarding the Router suggestion, would a Ethernet Switch work the same way ? >>

Provided your Router is connected to the Ethernet Switch as well, then yes.

This extends your network, which is made up of Wi-Fi sections and ethernet sections, all cross connected at your Router. Macs and Printers are generally endpoints, so the cross-connection is lost when you just run a short cable.

--------

There is one more obscure way to change that if you are using Wi-Fi to connect your Mac to the Internet. You can "share" your Wi-Fi connection out over Ethernet to the Printer (or to a Switch that is not directly wired to the Router). This turns software on your Mac into an Ethernet access point, providing just enough features to get it to work when the Mac is running.

Share the internet connection on Mac with other network users - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 6:20 AM in response to DavB

<< Regarding the Router suggestion, would a Ethernet Switch work the same way ? >>

Provided your Router is connected to the Ethernet Switch as well, then yes.

This extends your network, which is made up of Wi-Fi sections and ethernet sections, all cross connected at your Router. Macs and Printers are generally endpoints, so the cross-connection is lost when you just run a short cable.

--------

There is one more obscure way to change that if you are using Wi-Fi to connect your Mac to the Internet. You can "share" your Wi-Fi connection out over Ethernet to the Printer (or to a Switch that is not directly wired to the Router). This turns software on your Mac into an Ethernet access point, providing just enough features to get it to work when the Mac is running.

Share the internet connection on Mac with other network users - Apple Support

Oct 27, 2022 7:43 AM in response to DavB

Your Mac uses Bonjour/Discovery protocol across IPv6 to locate printers and other resources on your local network.

IPv6:

System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) >TCP/IP > IPv6 ... to Link-local only

ON may cause routing activity that interferes with your networking.

OFF will make it hard to find printers and other services on your network.

The Mac is not prepared to provide a good local IP address through DCHP. You could continue to use the connection you have if you would assign a Manual IP address to the Printer.

It you want to use a short local cable, USB is good for peripherals.

Ethernet is a networking protocol, and a direct Ethernet cable has stuff missing. Network Printers should be connected to your ROUTER.

Oct 28, 2022 5:15 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant for the information.

As suggested I assign a Manual IP address to the printer. I put the computer in a number of Sleep Modes and each time the printer was recognised. However, the last Sleep Mode test, which was about 3 hours long the printer was not recognised on wake up, although in the Preferences > Printer/Scanners its shown as online.

I adjusted the TCP/IP > IPv6 ... to Link-local only. Although the USB connection works Ok it doesn't allow for some of the printer functions to work, which ethernet does.

Regarding the Router suggestion, would a Ethernet Switch work the same way ?

Thanks,

David

Ethernet Connection dropped to Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.