Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I can ping my network printer, but cannot print

I've updated to macOs Sonoma a few days ago and I went to print a document to our Canon Image Runner Advance C5535 iii and it says it cannot print. I reinstalled the print driver, reset the system, had to manually install the printer (did not come up as an option to add so I added it via IP address, comes up with not able to communicate with the printer and yet when I ping the printer, it is successful. Is my mac no longer compatible with the printer? That's the only thing I can think of.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 2:09 PM

The Canon Image Runner Advance C5535iii is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint and no Canon drivers are necessary.

I suggest that you visit System Settings : Printers & Scanners panel. Right-click on the C5535iii entry and choose Reset Printing System… Click Reset on the resulting dialog. Click the Add Printer, Scanner, or Fax… button. That will open a Add Printer dialog and Apple's Bonjour service should detect and populate the name field with your Canon device. Click that entry and this will trigger the Use select to automatically configure AirPrint for the device. Then click Add to produce a new Printers entry. Right-click on that to Set Default Printer.

Here is an animation of that process for my laser printer. I have set this to 5 cycles. Refresh the browser to run it again.

My printer IP address is a reserved DHCP address or in other words a static IP address below the normal DHCP address assignment for my LAN devices.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 2:09 PM in response to crc80

The Canon Image Runner Advance C5535iii is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint and no Canon drivers are necessary.

I suggest that you visit System Settings : Printers & Scanners panel. Right-click on the C5535iii entry and choose Reset Printing System… Click Reset on the resulting dialog. Click the Add Printer, Scanner, or Fax… button. That will open a Add Printer dialog and Apple's Bonjour service should detect and populate the name field with your Canon device. Click that entry and this will trigger the Use select to automatically configure AirPrint for the device. Then click Add to produce a new Printers entry. Right-click on that to Set Default Printer.

Here is an animation of that process for my laser printer. I have set this to 5 cycles. Refresh the browser to run it again.

My printer IP address is a reserved DHCP address or in other words a static IP address below the normal DHCP address assignment for my LAN devices.

I can ping my network printer, but cannot print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.