Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura change decimal separator ?!?!

Hello,

Where in the world did they put the way to change the coma into a dot (or vice versa) in Ventura ?!?

Before it was in System PreferencesLanguage & Region > Advanced

There is no "advanced" tab any more ?!?

Can someone help ?

Thank you

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 7:38 AM

Just had the same problem - didn't think the answers here are the best solution for me so I searched by myself: Now Excel has the option to define the decimal separator and the thousands separator. Just do that:

1. Go to Preferences (under Excel or with ⌘ , )
  2. Click on 'Edit'.
  3. Choose your preferred decimal separator (does it then automatically for the whole document)

For me the clean solution, no more messing around with language settings or command line solutions (even though quite cool).

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2022 7:38 AM in response to cybre

Just had the same problem - didn't think the answers here are the best solution for me so I searched by myself: Now Excel has the option to define the decimal separator and the thousands separator. Just do that:

1. Go to Preferences (under Excel or with ⌘ , )
  2. Click on 'Edit'.
  3. Choose your preferred decimal separator (does it then automatically for the whole document)

For me the clean solution, no more messing around with language settings or command line solutions (even though quite cool).

Feb 17, 2023 5:04 PM in response to cybre

Be careful with the Terminal command!

After sending a custom formatting command on macOS 13.2, the Language & Region settings became disabled: it can't be open anymore (clicking on the Language & Region button doesn't do anything).

I sent this command (as I wanted dot for decimal and nothing for grouping, which setting is missing on Ventura):

defaults write -g AppleICUNumberSymbols -dict 0 '.' 1 '' 10 '.' 17 ''

Like I mentioned, it disabled the Language & Region settings (and didn't change the numbers format in the system anyway).

Sending other commands after this with different formats didn't make a difference.

Dec 18, 2022 6:16 AM in response to cybre

Yes that's a serious drawback of Ventura! You can still contact Apple Support and make sure they file a feedbacks, do it directly using the link below and filling one using Feedback Assistant if you can.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

If enough people file something, maybe it will get to the engineer's attention, even though we should not have to do this in the first place for such a major serious issue to being addressed...

Feb 10, 2023 12:56 PM in response to cybre

Go to "General" -> "Language and Region". You will be allowed to select your favorite language and below that you can select the Region. In my case I have Italian as my favorite language, but the Region (Zona) is set to United States. If you set your Region to United States, it will give you an option for the numbers format to choose the decimal separator that you prefer, see the screenshot below:

Nov 2, 2022 3:56 AM in response to MaximusAT

MaximusAT wrote:

The Terminal workaround worked for me, but this is something absolutely crazy that can break thousands of excel files...how could Apple let this happen?!

FWIW, it will not break thousands of excel files, because excel is smart enough to store the data in a format that is independent of how numbers are displayed. It just so happens that they may not show the same way - and, of course, it matters when you enter new data into them.

That said, of course this needs to be fixed.

At the moment, I do see the option to change number format, but yesterday I am pretty sure it wasn't there... something is clearly wrong.

Dec 2, 2022 9:49 AM in response to cybre

If you are a Keyboard Maestro user you can easily overcome this limitation by using the "Insert Date" action and changing the default formatting to:

%ICUDateTime%MM.dd.yy%

This will yield a date of:

Modify, if you wish, to make it a four-digit date along the lines of:

%ICUDateTime%MM.dd.yyyy%

Which will yield today's date as:

You can change the separators to whatever you prefer; as you can see I prefer the dots instead of slashes.

Dec 5, 2022 11:04 PM in response to cspkloof

cspkloof wrote:

How do you force Excel to run in English?

By default, applications (if coded properly) follow the system setting.

You can change the language for specific applications, though.

Go to System Settings->Language & Region.

At the bottom, you see "Applications". Click the + sign to add an application and select the language you want to use it with.

Ventura change decimal separator ?!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.