Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

This iPhone is open in another window

Hi there, I have just updated my Macbook Air to Ventura. When I plug my Iphone in and want to sync my music app I receive the message "this iphone is open in another window" even though there is no other window open. I have switched my iphone off/on and restarted my mac. Still the same.

I hope someone has an answer how to fix this.

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 3:42 PM

I have found my own simple fix, I tried the relaunching finder doesn't work. so here it is

On the iTunes screen where you get the message "iTunes is open in another window". look to your left panel and where you see iTunes Store, click once to launch, let it load takes 2-3 seconds. no go back to your phone with 1 click and welcome to sync and control

has worked every time for the last 9 days for me, can't believe this simple trick works.

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 3:42 PM in response to BonaHewson

I have found my own simple fix, I tried the relaunching finder doesn't work. so here it is

On the iTunes screen where you get the message "iTunes is open in another window". look to your left panel and where you see iTunes Store, click once to launch, let it load takes 2-3 seconds. no go back to your phone with 1 click and welcome to sync and control

has worked every time for the last 9 days for me, can't believe this simple trick works.

Dec 3, 2022 2:00 PM in response to BuyerBWare

hopkins1008 provided the solution, and it works. The devil take me if I can figure out how he figured out how to do this, or why Apple hasn't fixed this bug yet, but here is his solution again:

Nov 26, 2022 3:32 AM in response to BonaHewson

One simple solution I found was to use the Apple TV App on my computer.

• Select your Device (left-hand panel)
  • Select Library (if not already selected)
  • Select Watch Now
  • Select Library

My system then refreshed (automatically) and I am now able to select the 'Sync Setting' button.

Oct 28, 2022 3:09 PM in response to BonaHewson

Hi BonaHewson,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Re: "this iphone is open in another window"

That message does seem puzzling.

Apple support's article:

Sync music between your Mac and iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

says:

"If you subscribe to Apple Music, your music is transferred automatically to all your devices and no syncing is required."

If you don't subscribe ... maybe the article has some tips that will help.

All the best :-)

Nov 10, 2022 8:24 PM in response to BonaHewson

Ventura has scrambled some of the code that impacts iPhone connectivity to iTunes. iPhone earlier than iPhone 14 may not be able to connect to iTunes. This has been confirmed by examination by an Apple tech. Furthermore, the

"This iPhone is open in another window" is a very real problem, which inexplicably prevents many iPhones, 13 and 14, from connecting to iTunes. All of these problems are subsequent to the release of Ventura. 13.0.1 was released today (11/10/2022), but it has not resolved either of these issues.

The problem is with Apple, and they need to fix it pronto.

Nov 10, 2022 9:05 PM in response to brbo

Yes, the iPhone 14appears in Finder window panels and in iTunes. The iPhone 13 appears in neither. The Apple technician confirmed that all software was up to date, and he could not pull up the iPhone 13 either on my machine or his.

The "This iPhone is open in another window" problem is endemic to both iPhones, with no known way of resolving it.

As I have said, this is entirely Apple's problem, and they need to fix it pronto

Nov 11, 2022 9:29 AM in response to GWL-mesa

For some reason, since the installation of Ventura, both MacOS 13, and 13.01, both my iPhone Pro 13 and my iPhone Pro 14 are returning the message "This iPhone is open in another window" when attempting to connect to iTunes through the Music app. In order to sync, it is necessary to do so via any Finder window, instead of the Music app. Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance as you have to go back and forth if you wish to work with the iTunes database as well as the iPhone's synced library. Presumably a future update to Ventura will correct this oddity.

A more disturbing issue is that while the 16" MacBook Pro M1 Pro will connect to the iPhone Pro 14, but NOT the iPhone Pro 13. The 13" MacBook Pro M1 will, however, connect to the iPhone Pro 13.

When brought in for examination, Apple's tech folks have confirmed all of this, but they have no explanation. One tech advisor mentioned that he understood that Apple may be planning to employ the M1 Pro chip in the iPhone 15 next year, and may have already modified the architecture of the iPhone 14 in such a way that it can communicate with the 16" MBP which has the newer M1 Pro chip rather than the 13" MBP M1 chip. If true, this might possibly explain the connection failure when attempting to connect the iPhone 13 (older M1 chip) to the 16" MBP (newer M1 Pro chip).

Nov 26, 2022 2:20 PM in response to hopkins1008

The issue I have is that the "This Iphone is open in another window" message comes up when I select my iPhone XS Max in the sidebar of the Music app on M1 iMac Ventura. The iPhone also shows in the Finder sidebar, but the Finder interface does not allow selecting individual files on the iMac to copy to iPhone. Before Ventura, it was possible to drag copy from Finder to the iPhone in the Finder side bar.

Nov 28, 2022 9:11 AM in response to BonaHewson

The advice about having Apple Music is correct. I uploaded several new CDs from my own collection over the last few days, and they now appear to be on my phone. I guess the downside is being able to update your phone from the Music app. I am not sure of other downsides. It appears to have happened after the Ventura 13.0.1 update.

Go to Macintosh HD and your iPhone is there. You can update and backup there as well as sync. Not sure what the sync is doing but the top menu shows General...Music...TV Shows...Photos...Files...Info

Since I used iCloud, only a few apps show up on the "Files" tab.

This iPhone is open in another window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.