Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the key word search function for notepad so horrible?

I've tried looking this up on the forums as well as general internet searches but have been unable to find an answer. Often when doing key word searches in notepad from my Mac laptop, I can be sitting on the actual word or phrase that I am searching for (as a test) and the search function is unable to find it. What ends happening (around 30% of the time) is the search function will select random words or letters that aren't even close to what I'm searching for. It is beyond frustrating when trying to search for key words in a wall of text and you know the word is there but the search function will not find it no matter what. Has this been a known issue and never been fixed or am I alone in this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 4:27 PM

Performing a word search is a fundamental feature expected of any text-based app, so you're right — it's useless if it is not working.

If it is not working as that Apple Support document describes, then the Notes app on that Mac is broken in a manner that I cannot explain. Text search in general is a core macOS component, so I suppose reinstalling macOS is justified. However, what you describe is so odd I suspect it may be a waste of time. Something else is going on. Please contact Apple Support at your convenience and explain your concern. They have the ability to screen share with you (with your consent) so you can demonstrate what you are experiencing as they watch. Perhaps they have something more useful to suggest.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2022 4:27 PM in response to Dbone1904

Performing a word search is a fundamental feature expected of any text-based app, so you're right — it's useless if it is not working.

If it is not working as that Apple Support document describes, then the Notes app on that Mac is broken in a manner that I cannot explain. Text search in general is a core macOS component, so I suppose reinstalling macOS is justified. However, what you describe is so odd I suspect it may be a waste of time. Something else is going on. Please contact Apple Support at your convenience and explain your concern. They have the ability to screen share with you (with your consent) so you can demonstrate what you are experiencing as they watch. Perhaps they have something more useful to suggest.

Oct 31, 2022 11:28 AM in response to Dbone1904

Ok thanks, in that case I don't have an explanation, other than perhaps I am misinterpreting what you meant by "keyword." Entering some text searches in the Notes Search field searches for all instances of that text in a single Note, or all Notes, and is not constrained to any particular text attribute. I've never experienced anything like what you are describing, unless of course I misunderstand what's wrong.

Searching in Notes is very robust: Search your notes on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 11, 2022 10:06 AM in response to Dbone1904

Thanks. Please let me know what they have to suggest.

Apple may suggest restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode" and / or reinstalling macOS. I would suggest that myself if not for the fact I don't think it's worthwhile, but here are the relevant links if you want to try it:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you want to try them, they are harmless enough. Then, if Apple suggests doing either one, you could say you did already and it didn't help.

Why is the key word search function for notepad so horrible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.