Problems macOs Ventura and Photos App.

After downloading macOs Ventura to my iMac. Editing photos in the Photos app is having problems. I use a Nikon Z7, i shoot in raw. Photos are nice and clear from the camera card. When i edited thru Photos App, photos are blurry and not focused. Had no problems with Monterey. Called Apple support, no help.

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 10:27 AM

Yep, it's all related. I'll upload a group of photos and the blurriness doesn't clear up until I go into edit mode. Also, arbitrarily, I'm unable to export to the desktop by dragging and dropping the file. Here is a screen capture of an error I get perhaps 30% of the time. It seems arbitrary in that it may not happen will a file on either side of that one. I'm able to work around it most of the time, but what an annoying bug because there doesn't seem to be any way to anticipate it.

Similar questions

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2023 10:27 AM in response to sfraser

Yep, it's all related. I'll upload a group of photos and the blurriness doesn't clear up until I go into edit mode. Also, arbitrarily, I'm unable to export to the desktop by dragging and dropping the file. Here is a screen capture of an error I get perhaps 30% of the time. It seems arbitrary in that it may not happen will a file on either side of that one. I'm able to work around it most of the time, but what an annoying bug because there doesn't seem to be any way to anticipate it.

Dec 8, 2022 8:05 PM in response to tbear09

I'm having very buggy behavior as well with my Sony A7iii RAW files. With the RAW file open, often if I simply 2 finger touch the trackpad on my MBP, it will get blurry, sometimes the color balance shifts. Sometimes, I'll return to the picture and everything appears to be normal. Sometimes it reverts back to normal, sometimes it does not. What I've been doing is exporting the RAW file to Affinity, making my edits and saving the file as a TIFF or PNG.

It's difficult to get a screen capture of the color balance and exposure change because I can't do shift/command/4 and move the cursor with the trackpad at the same time.

Attached is an example of the blurry issue I'm having. The photo wasn't edited. It is a cropped screen capture of the same photo after simply touching the trackpad. I was freaking out a little because initially, I thought every picture from a 300 picture photo shoot was out of focus.

I always shoot RAW, but I may use JPEG for a while until this is resolved.

Apr 15, 2023 10:11 AM in response to sfraser

Same same. In addition, I'm noticing that the presence of a raw file in photos' viewer window incapacitates some interface control elements, most notably the enlarge slider as indicated in the attached examples. Note the position of the slider in "edit" mode. The relative sharpness of the image (or lack thereof) of course is evident too.

Dec 9, 2022 9:09 AM in response to Keith Barkley

If I export the photo, yes, it shows the same blurriness in preview as well. The blurriness is absolutely from Photos. If I choose edit with Affinity, even from a blurry thumbnail, there is no blurriness when I export the file to anything EXCEPT Photos. If I edit in Affinity and save in Photos, it's blurry again. If I export the Affinity edited photo to the desktop, it's not blurry. It's ONLY blurry in Photos.

Dec 10, 2022 2:58 PM in response to untalented_clod

I can confirm the same problem with blurry photos. I shoot RAW with a Leica M10-P and I have tons of memory in my MacBook Pro. The photos usually look sharp after importing but blurry after editing with Photos built-in editing tools. Haven't been able to figure out if it is a specific tool. Sometimes it happens with auto-enhance. Sometimes a photo imports as blurry. I also notice that I cannot zoom a photo properly in Photos' browser after the photo has been edited.

I can almost always fix the problem for any particular photo by reverting to the original and then editing again. Frustrating. I have submitted a bug report to Apple.

Nov 18, 2022 4:38 AM in response to Steve Poirot

Is the camera battery fully charged or the camera connected to a power supply? Have you tried to use a card reader?

After the upgrade to Ventura my Macs are having problems to recognise devices without an own power supply.

Ventura should be able to read the RAW files from the Nikon Z7, if the camera is in the correct mode for downloading (Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura - Apple Support). Can Image Capture see the camera for downloading?

Jan 13, 2024 9:43 AM in response to Mattsta001

Oddly, I received (13 Jan 2024) a kind of attaboy from Apple, "Thanks for your help" relating to a single upvote on one of my posts earlier in this longish thread. Never have gotten one of these before, and frankly, my post was more along the lines of whining that I sometimes do to make me feel better when SW misbehaves from expectations. Maybe just a marketing gimmick, but, what the heck. I see a lot of contributors have offered significant, better informed inputs in the discussion with detailed technical info on HW and image sources etc. Do you all regularly such notices from Apple? I wonder if it means they actually noticed the issues we all were flagging and sorted them out partly due to this thread. Here we are though in Sonoma era now, and if you are like me, breathless for the 14.3 upgrade (yes, mine is a small life).

I will say that I'm quite glad the issues seems as I would have been annoyed to have lost this serendipitous shot to goofy post processing:

Nov 1, 2022 10:29 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hey Tony..

The problems seems to happen with raw files from the camera.. Maybe the file is to big. When i switch the camera to jpg mode. I can edited the photos in Photos app and drop pictures in my Dropbox folder. If i take a raw file and edited to Luminar AI first, then save to the Photos App., I can edited the photo and drop file to Dropbox folder. There's a bunch of people talking about this problem on MacRumors Forums. I think its a software problem. I'll be able to check the problem with another Nikon camera later today.

Nov 18, 2022 12:24 PM in response to léonie

I played with it a bit more. Before upgrading to Ventura, I was using a USB-A to USB-C cable from a Sonnettech docking station. That used to both charge the camera and allow me to access the pictures from Photos. Now, it appears to charge it, but not see the photos. I tried the same thing with that docking station using a USB-C to USB-C cable and it still didn't work. These ports do work for powering and reading/writing to external drives and did to the camera before switching to Ventura. I tried the same with a SATECHI min-docking station, and it worked fine.

Dec 5, 2022 10:35 AM in response to TonyCollinet

TonyCollinet wrote:

Can you post a couple of screenshots (CMD-shift-4) to show what you mean?

What happens if you open one of the raw files in preview?
What happens if you revert to original, and then try the edits again?
Does this happen with jpg images or only the raw files.
Can you download a raw file from a different camera - does it happen with this?

Answers to Tony's original questions could be helpful

Dec 9, 2022 8:20 AM in response to Caute3

Caute3 wrote:

Raw files have always been edited on photos for Mac. This problem is with Ventura. All professional photographers use Raw. Size should not be an issue.

The size could be an issue for two possible reasons - on a Mac with not much memory, or when your Mac is low on storage, and you are using iCloud Photos. Then the optimized versions may be blurry.

Also, I am seeing blurry previews of my edited RAW files on my Mac, if I touch the RAW images on my iPhone and add some adjustments there and sync the adjustments with iCloud to the Mac. Then the iPhone edited versions are based on the embedded JPEG previews and are having a much smaller pixel size than the original RAW files.

Problems macOs Ventura and Photos App.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.