Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use my keyboard layout when I connect from my MacBook to my iPad remotely?

I am using the new feature to use my mouse and keyboard on my iPad by going to the border of my screen and forcing the mouse to go to my iPad.

I have a custom layout on my MacBook that I installed (bépo French layout, equivalent to Dvorak for French). Whenever I connect to my iPad and type using my laptop keyboard, the layout used on my iPad is the default English one that I use on my tablet when it is not connected. How can I send the correct key strokes to my iPad so that the layout used is the one from my laptop?

Thank you.

P.S.: it'd be really nice to have that layout included in the OS in the French layouts

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 6, 2022 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 8:08 AM

NautillusSs wrote:

. How can I send the correct key strokes to my iPad so that the layout used is the one from my laptop?

There's no way to do that with a custom layout, as far as I know. You have to use one of the mappings you find when, on the ipad, you go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for French (or whatever language you want).

To ask apple to fix this, use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 8:08 AM in response to NautillusSs

NautillusSs wrote:

. How can I send the correct key strokes to my iPad so that the layout used is the one from my laptop?

There's no way to do that with a custom layout, as far as I know. You have to use one of the mappings you find when, on the ipad, you go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for French (or whatever language you want).

To ask apple to fix this, use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Nov 7, 2022 6:40 PM in response to NautillusSs

Hey there NautillusSs,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to provide some assistance.

To confirm, you are referring to Universal Control as outlined here?: Use a keyboard and mouse or trackpad across your Mac and iPad with Universal Control - Apple Support

If so, let's make sure your iPad is set to the correct language:

Change the language on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If it is, please contact Apple directly to investigate:

Get Support

Have a great day!

How can I use my keyboard layout when I connect from my MacBook to my iPad remotely?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.