Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add group texts to iOS 16 focus mode?

Is there a way to add group texts to a focus mode in iOS 16? In the focus mode settings, the only options I see under the SILENCE NOTIFICATIONS section are for Choose People or Choose Apps.

Under Choose People, I can only select individual people from my contact list but I am on a group chat that was set up by someone else and want to deactivate notices when I'm not working. I've added Messages (or "Filter by People List") under Focus Filters but that doesn't help.

I know how to do this manually but I need to be able to schedule the notifications to be silent every day and on the weekends outside of work hours. Is this possible and if so, how do I do it?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 7, 2022 2:52 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 9, 2022 12:52 PM in response to SpiffyCanuck

Hello, SpiffyCanuck,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

The closest option for what you are trying to do is to use the Focus filters. This will allow you to filter messages based on conversations you’ve allowed notifications from. This will silent the group message while allowing approved messages through. You can learn more about that under “Add focus filters” here: 

If this option does not fit your needs, please leave feedback about that here: Use Focus on your iPhone or iPad

Kindest regards. 

Dec 4, 2022 5:20 PM in response to Shannon_DN

Hi Shannon,

I left a response on the page you linked to. Just by way of reply to you, that method didn't work as I need to mute the group text but not the individual members of the group.

The reason for this is that when I'm on vacation, I don't want to receive notifications about group discussions - which are numerous - but I still need to be available for individuals in the group to reach me by text.

Is there any way to do this?

How to add group texts to iOS 16 focus mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.