You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad water damage

There was a rainstorm where I live and some water leaked into my backpack and got into the iPad. It still turns on and works, but there is definitely water in the display and FaceID doesn't work. Should I just leave it in rice or do something else?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 8:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 9:36 PM

Don’t put it in rice.

That’s a myth that doesn’t do anything but waste food.

Turn it off, leave it sit in a dry place with good airflow for a week.

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 8, 2022 9:23 PM in response to DaikonPlays

If it is still functioning and under warranty (or you have extended care), take it to an Apple Store. Out of warranty, turn it off, remove the battery,then put it into a bowl of rice for a few days . The extreme dryness of the rice can pull the moisture out. These devices are delicate , if you don't know what you are doing, don't play with its innards :Let an apple tech dismantle it, if you break it you own it, if he breaks it he has Apple behind him.

That said, Take care when you switch it on, there have been issues with the battery shorting, causing it to swell and in some cases explode, though not a frequent occurrence with Apple devices, it is something to keep in mind.

iPad water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.