Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing password dialogue box hangs without end

That's it. I recently upgraded to Ventura

iMac 27″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 1:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 7:25 AM

Hey michaelphonic,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Community. Due to the nature of your issue, you may find more information by contacting Apple Support directly using the link below.

Contact Apple Support

Take care.

5 replies

Nov 10, 2022 7:51 PM in response to michaelphonic

Hey there michaelphonic,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, when you say that the Home Sharing password prompt is not responding, is this occurring on your iMac, or the device you're trying to share media with?

If so, have you gone through all the steps in the 'Related Article', Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support under the "Before you set up Home Sharing" section to ensure that all devices are up-to-date, connected to the same network, and signed into the same Apple ID?

If you have, try restarting each device you're working with, and test the issue again. While restarting may seem like a simple step it can often help with resolving some unexpected issues like this.

Keep us updated on the results, and we'll continue from there.

Have a great day!

Nov 10, 2022 8:06 PM in response to michaelphonic

Hi there!

Thanks for the additional info. When the unresponsiveness occurs, does it correct on its own or do you have to restart your Mac to get it working again? When the password box becomes unresponsive, have you tried force quitting to close it down? If you're not sure of that process, check out How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support.

If you would, try booting up in safe mode and testing to see if the issue persists. This process will disable login items, system extensions and will perform a basic check of your Mac, kind of like First Aid. Once done testing while booted into safe mode, restart your device and test again once it's started back up.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on how it goes, and we'll go from there researching additional options to help, if needed.

Best regards.

Nov 15, 2022 7:43 PM in response to Missy5937

Okay, now that my work week has finished, I had the opportunity to test this and reply.

When I enter my password after attempting to turn on Media Sharing, the password dialogue box just sits there. I eventually do have to force quit it.

I restarted in Safe Mode and attempted to turn it on with exactly the same result. I then restarted in ordinary and again received the same result.

Home Sharing password dialogue box hangs without end

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.