Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura 13.0.1 update results in USB-C monitor no longer being detected

I have a 2021 14" Macbook Pro with two external monitors, one via HDMI and the other via USB-C (Thunderbolt 4 port). Both worked flawlessly. Updating to macOS Ventura 13.0.1 this morning (11/10/22) resulted in the USB-C monitor no longer being detected. I'm aware of another work colleague who has the exact same setup and is experiencing the same issue after updating macOS as well. I can't find any troubleshooting given the newness of macOS Ventura.

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 7:09 AM

Similar questions

36 replies

Jan 11, 2023 2:22 PM in response to schill27

Using:

2 external monitors will not take a signal for more than a few seconds before going black. I have been falling behind in my work due to this massive inconvenience and not sure what trick to try next. I have tried:

• New HDMI to USB-C cords
  • Bought one new monitor as I thought that was the problem after trying all the tricks listed here and other forums online
  • Bought new adapters
  • New power bar
  • Tried leaving them plugged in while powering down power bar...nothing will let them stay on longer than a few seconds

I am at a total loss here and REALLY hoping someone an help me out.......

Jan 17, 2023 11:21 PM in response to schill27

Sounds almost ridiculous, but perhaps worth a try! Even though USB-C can be plugged in either right-side-up or upside-down, you can try flipping the usb-c plug. In my case, I was using a usb-c extension cable from my usb-c hub to my 2018 Macbook Air (also, I do not have the "Allow accessories to connect" option at all). I flipped the female USB-C plug and now my usb-C hub works again!

This is where I found the solution that worked for me. I can confirm and vouch that the following worked for me. Wired usb keyboard and mouse stopped work… - Apple Community

Jan 23, 2023 4:08 AM in response to schill27

On my iMac, Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019 I solved the issue doing the following:

1. Deleting the file com.apple.windowserver.[...].plist in ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost
  2. Shutting down the iMac
  3. Unplugging all (!) cables from my Apple LED Cinema Display
  4. Unplugging all (!) cables from my iMac and waiting 15+ Seconds (that does an → SMC reset, btw.)
  5. Replug everything: display power, DP-connection to iMac, USB-connection to iMac, iMac power
  6. Perform a → NVRAM reset as explained here: https://iboysoft.com/wiki/nvram.html
  7. Boot macOS Ventura 13.1 (22C65)

And voila - everything works again! 😍

Dec 28, 2022 6:50 AM in response to schill27

For all here strugling with same issue. I tried all software solutions adviced here and on other forums. I also tried to switch dongles, etc. Nothing worked for 2 weeks.

Then i remembered i also use HDMI switch (low cost) - even if i have enabled untrusted accessories in settings - it is not working due to it for some reason.

After disconnecting and connecting my usb-c hub directly via HDMI to monitor it works like a charm.

Hope this will be fixed soon. Since I need to switch HDMI input from linux to mac time to time.

Nov 11, 2022 1:08 PM in response to chelmueller

The quick way to tell is to examine the lead-in cord.

The ThunderBolt display (that Will work with ThunderBolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter) has only MagSafe and ThunderBolt inputs.

The Cinema Display (that will NOT work with ThunderBolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter, but WILL work with Mini DisplayPort adapter) has MagSafe, Mini DisplayPort AND USB input.

Nov 17, 2022 4:10 PM in response to schill27

I just updated a 2018 Mac Mini to 13.0.1 today. Afterward I could not get an OEM Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to work. I have an HDMI display and a USB-A device connected to the dongle and neither one are being recognized by the OS. I moved it to all of the different USB-C ports on the back of the mini, rebooted countless times, and still can't get it to recognize.

Interestingly enough, there is not a ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.display.{XXX}.plist file to remove on this machine.

Nov 22, 2022 3:14 PM in response to schill27

Same. here. As soon as I updated to Ventura 13.0.1 I lost access to my external monitor. I have a new 2022 MacBook 14 inch M1 Pro. I really do not want to have to downgrade the OS like i had to do last time they screwed up DJ software Rekordbox's ability to export songs to USB drives. I have looked on display links website and it seems everyone is having this issue. Honestly crazy to see you're using the stock usb-C / HDMI for 2 and still having this issue though. That's insane. I have 3 monitors with a display link adapter and the third is the one that won't recognize.

If this is apple hard-locking us out, they better get ready for a lot of pushback. If not, I can't even begin to understand how they screw up 3rd party apps with small updates like a 0.0.1.

Nov 27, 2022 8:54 PM in response to EdwardLiao

For me, I was using the "WAVLINK USB 3.0 to HDMI Universal Video Graphics Adapter with Audio Port Displaylink Chip Supports up to 6 Monitor displays up to 2048x1152, Support Windows,MacOS 10.14 Later, Ubuntu 20.04,22.04" and confirmed it was the adapter that died. I got a replacement unit and it works fine with Ventura 13.0.1. Not sure what adapter you're using, but this one has allowed me to use 3 displays with a 2022 MacBook M1 Pro 14"

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CSG7TUC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Nov 28, 2022 5:10 PM in response to schill27

Seeing the same type of issue, but mine is on a Mac Studio. Everything was great, now on 13.0.1, monitor connected from DisplayPort to USB-C now goes black after a short time. Monitor, DIsplayPort port on monitor, and cable all verified good on other machines. Sometimes the screen comes back for a bit with a full shutdown and cold start. All four USB-C ports show the same behavior. Haven't tried the file-removal thing yet.

Dec 4, 2022 6:45 AM in response to schill27

The laptop always works with the external monitor lg-27up850-w from the mains via usb-c. Optimised charging is switched on and it works (the socket icon appears). But after updating - ventura. Optimised charging has started to appear very rarely. Moreover, it can work for a day, and then disappears after the laptop is unplugged for a moment or the monitor is switched off/on. Then it continues to charge to 100% again.

On monterey os everything worked consistently for weeks, even if I unplugged the laptop overnight and plugged it in in the morning, the optimised charge would appear immediately.

Is there a difference working via hdmi? Maybe put HDMI + plug in a magSafe MacBook charger.

Ventura 13.0.1 update results in USB-C monitor no longer being detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.