Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BATTERY DRAIN DRAMATICALLY ON IOS 16.1.1

I purchased the iPhone 14 Pro Max the battery was okay not as good as my previous iPhone 13 Pro Max which was a legend. It’s annoying how my battery has been dramatically draining so fast on my latest iPhone 14 pro max after the iOS 16.1.1 update apple should really fix this we were promised a better battery life which should be an hr better then the 13 pro max not lesser by 5hrs it’s barely lasts through the next day when I used to get 2 days of 13 pro max. Come on apple I’m really considering selling my latest iPhone and get last years one!

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 12, 2022 1:46 PM

133 replies

Dec 21, 2022 5:05 PM in response to arthuralaor

@arthuralaor Update and Possible solution for rapid battery drain from advanced Apple Tech Support.

As instructed from the rep at my in person Apple Store Genius Appointment, I did a factory restore in my iPhone (Setting>General>Transfer or Reset>Erase All Content and Settings). This procedure DID NOT improve the battery drain / performance. Don't waste your time with this method if your phone does not show any hardware issues base on Apple's evaluation. If you have a software issue follow the following steps.

When Apple called me today to followup, the guy went though the same song and dance as the rest, try this try that. I said listen I've spent hours on the messing with this phone (probably over 30 hours if I added them all up), I just want a new phone at this point. So he put me through to his supervisor and she asked me if I plugged my phone into my computer to do the restore. I said no, I did what the guy showed me at the Genius appointment. She said I'm sorry he didn't have you do it the correct way, you likely have a corrupted software issue and the way he instructed you does not resolve that issue. So she emailed me a link and I am currently in the LONG process (had to run a newer version of IOS on my MacBook to begin the process). I'm including the link below to do the process. It's very straight forward but is taking some time. The corrupt software is sort of like a virus from what I have researched and you simply pass it on from old iPhone to new iPhone when you set it up.

1. First do a backup to iCloud in your iCloud settings in your phone
  2. Open Finder (if you have a Mac computer)
  3. Next plug your iPhone into your computer using an Apple Lightening Cable (I tried three other cables and my computer would not recognize my iPhone even thought my phone was charging. If you don't see your iPhone in the left column of Finder, then it's likely a cord / cable issue, try another one.
  4. Sign out from "Find My" iPhone in your phone settings (instructed to do this in the link)
  5. Follow the instruction in the link (sent to me be advanced Apply Tech Support Rep) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support
  6. Go through the steps. I would set aside at least 2 hours (it's taken much longer than 2 hours due to needing to download and install newer IOS to my MacBook)
  7. Here is the KEY the Apple Tech Support Rep told me, DO NOT RESTORE or Back up (whatever it's called) FROM iCloud once your phone is ready to set up. So you will not be using back up apps from iCloud during set up. You want to log into the App Store and and if you click on your your picture upper left you can see your "purchased app" in the menu. Start to download the apps you need from there a few at a time. Let a few complete downloading and then add a few more and so on (The Rep told me to do it a few at a time only). You'll have to log into each one manually since you did not backup from iCloud but this is how you weed out any corrupt files from making their was back into your phone.

When you do this plug in method, way more is taking place than doing it though your phone to reset / restore to factory settings. Remember DO NOT simply restore your phone with iCloud backup during setup. Chose option "Don't Transfer Apps and Data" option when you are setting up your iPhone like you just unboxed it again. Download your apps from the App store. Your photos and all that will transfer from the cloud. I do not know if my sms texts will be on my phone when I am completed as I am still in the middle of the process. I did back up my contacts and iMessages to the cloud but I'm assuming I will lose SMS texts and maybe my call log. I can update later as to what happened. I set up a time for the rep to call me back on Tuesday and by then I will know if this improved my issue or not.

Good Luck!!

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Nov 16, 2022 12:56 AM in response to frazzm737

The battery drain on iPhone 14 pro max is significant. Earlier I used to get a full day and over night and next day till I finish my morning workout. Now I need to put it on charge in the night. iOS 16.1.1 has surely messed up. Hopefully apple helps fix this.

I've tried restarting, force restarting as suggested in some forums.

Nov 21, 2022 10:00 AM in response to cmendoza2584

Guys Go to the battery settings & turn off the optimized battery charging, Switch off your iPhones and then turn it back on. Leave it to die then connect it to the charger let it charge from 0 - 100% hopefully it will stop draining I tried doing that and thank God it’s getting back to normal you’ll even notice it on your battery activity. I wish you all the best ! just follow my steps I hope it will get back to normal. If it doesn’t work let’s hope the upcoming updates fixes all the bugs and battery drain issues.

also keep an eye on the screen idle for some reason it’s getting higher then normal

Nov 22, 2022 5:17 PM in response to Ddey91

Everyone,

I finally tried what others are mentioning here. Before you charge your phone up at the end of the day or when the battery is really low, this is what worked to make the battery last the way it used to:

Before charging, turn OFF “Optimized Battery Charging” from Settings >> Battery >> Battery Health & Charging.

Next power off your phone, then power it back on.

After phone has turned back on go to settings and turn back ON the “Optimized Battery Charging”.

Now plug in your phone and charge your phone until 100% and do not turn off your phone.

That is what worked for me. Today was the first time ever since I got my new iPhone 14 Max, was the first time I had 70% left at the end of the day after doing the above. Yesterday before I did this I only had 35% left at the end of the day, so it worked.

Let me know if this works for anyone else here that has not tried this above.

Nov 18, 2022 9:52 PM in response to Ddey91

iPhone 12 Pro Max. Updated from last iOS 15 to iOS 16.1.1 (my big mistake). I got a huge battery drain!

1. Please stop post suggestion like: "turn on auto brightness, turn off background ops and this and that... and etc". It doest help and sounds like "turn of as much features as possible to get a 25 years old Nokia instead of modern phone." According to this logic the best way is to turn of phone and keep it in a desk drawer for the time been. But I paid for functionality and I want to be able to use it as I want.
  2. One more suggestion - "your phone has to index everything so just wait day or two or three or...". Apple has to make a progress indicator for index process in these case. How can we know it is finished or not? And indexing must be done while phone is charging and connected to wifi. Better at night time. No! Apple has its own logic! That's why I got discharged phone today morning!
  3. I already tried: 1. All suggestions from above. 2. Reset network and settings. 3. Restore using DFU. So do not repeat my mistake and do not waste your time - it won't help.
  4. In my case 2 apps always drain battery. WhatsApp and Locator.

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 25, 2022 5:29 PM in response to Ddey91

i have iPhone 11 Pro and my battery also started draining fast two days ago after upgrading 16.1.1, it was very dramatic. I tried turning off the optimize option and rebooting but that didn’t work. I let it die, and fully recharged and it drained again. I also erased and restored to 16.1 but I was forced to go to 16.1.1 during the sign in. But after the restore the drain was much less i thought it was fixed until I made a phone call and my phone got really hot and battery dropped 10% after 5 minutes.

Nov 15, 2022 10:59 PM in response to Ddey91

Apple software do such a sloopy work these days , not only modern ios full of bugs , apple still couldn’t figure out how to get better battery 🔋 with every update

and lastly i wouldnt ever upgrade to ios 17 whenever it comes because apple has a history of intentionally make iphone slower with every update and force people to buy new device , fyi apple your greed will never be satisfied no matter how many trillions you get every passing year

Nov 17, 2022 3:49 AM in response to Ddey91

Today, for the first time, I am thinking of replacing my apple with an android device.Every update is a problem with the battery.I don't know why you do this to people who have been loyal to you for 13 years.I've been using an iPhone since 3Gs, but I think that this iPhone 12 Mini will be my last iPhone even if I wanted to buy a 14 Pro.New update should solve the problem, but when you have Apple with a new update, you get a new problem.Apple I think it's time to say goodbye.

Nov 18, 2022 12:15 AM in response to Ddey91

My few day old iPhone Pro Max battery barely lasts longer than my XR! I’ve spent way too much time researching every tip for battery improvement and nothing has worked. It’s glitchy at times as well. A couple days ago every time I wanted to close out of the YouTube app in particular I would try and swipe up and nothing would happen. It would take 5-7 attempts to get it to function. I deleted the YouTube app and re-installed, hard reset, power off and it has gotten better but not 100%. I’ve noticed a noticeable annoying lag when swiping up out of any app.

Besides the swiping up not responding or lagging, lagging while using some apps and the battery drain, it’s a fantastic phone. I’m ready to contact Apple and see what can be done. The phone is really amazing but this swiping up lag and battery drain are aggravating.

I’ve lost 2% battery just typing this post!

iPhone Pro Max 512GB

BATTERY DRAIN DRAMATICALLY ON IOS 16.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.