Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option to change background color in Mail message is GONE

In Apple Mail, command-T has always been a shortcut to invoke the fonts panel, which also had a box to click to select the color of the message BACKGROUND.

But since I installed the Ventura OS v.13.0.1 on my Mac Studio Max 3 days ago, it is MISSING. Instead, there is a mysterious box marked "H" which turns red if I click it, but does absolutely nothing.

I spent half an hour with a smart Apple phone support guy who couldn't find an answer, and he's sent a request to tech people about this issue. (This seems to me like a failure in coding which should never exist in a stable OS release.)

Has anyone else found a workaround to this nettling problem?

Mac Studio, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 7:58 AM

In earlier versions of Mail (e.g. Mojave), the font panel (⌘+T) had multi-function toolbar buttons with a small left side panel that changed its icon based on one or two clicks:

The left is the text color and the right is the background color of the message body. This functionality does not exist on Ventura. There is no means to set the background color on an outgoing message from the user interface.

WIth each new upgrade of the operating system, Apple changes application styling, and all too frequently removes habitual features such as the ability above to set the message body background color. However, there is also no guarantee that the recipients email client would honor such coloration.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 7:58 AM in response to garyfromsaint paul

In earlier versions of Mail (e.g. Mojave), the font panel (⌘+T) had multi-function toolbar buttons with a small left side panel that changed its icon based on one or two clicks:

The left is the text color and the right is the background color of the message body. This functionality does not exist on Ventura. There is no means to set the background color on an outgoing message from the user interface.

WIth each new upgrade of the operating system, Apple changes application styling, and all too frequently removes habitual features such as the ability above to set the message body background color. However, there is also no guarantee that the recipients email client would honor such coloration.

Nov 15, 2022 7:00 AM in response to garyfromsaint paul

garyfromsaint paul wrote:

I'm beginning to think some coder stupidly eliminated this feature, and nobody at Apple is willing to admit the blunder.

I have used Macs since the original 128k model, and I've written code. Do I have to consider going to a third-party mail app because Apple has managed to screw up their own application?

The are changes in every macOS upgrade. ..you either roll with it or start throwing accusatory remarks.

It well could be that a little used/or known about obscure option— was purposefully eliminated.

To be proactive you can submit your user feedback here directly to the Product Team:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

Third party is always a option if you can not live without the color background for your current emails.

.Post back when you settle on an alternative email client that suits your needs better.

Nov 14, 2022 9:08 PM in response to garyfromsaint paul

garyfromsaint paul wrote:

In Apple Mail, command-T has always been a shortcut to invoke the fonts panel, which also had a box to click to select the color of the message BACKGROUND.

But since I installed the Ventura OS v.13.0.1 on my Mac Studio Max 3 days ago, it is MISSING. Instead, there is a mysterious box marked "H" which turns red if I click it, but does absolutely nothing.

I spent half an hour with a smart Apple phone support guy who couldn't find an answer, and he's sent a request to tech people about this issue. (This seems to me like a failure in coding which should never exist in a stable OS release.)

Has anyone else found a workaround to this nettling problem?

I have never heard nor seen this option before...

Use the Mail>Help menu> and see if this gets you any closer

if no insight —

you can call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or

on line Apple Support

Nov 15, 2022 1:48 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thx for the response, and as noted, I talked extensively to Apple Support. FWIW, when the tech experts got back to him, they were rather snippy, as though he wasn't doing his job properly!

In addition, I just navigated to what you showed on your screenshot. But this does not have any relevant info. (I already have intricate RULES set up to color-code senders, categories, favorites et al.)

The option I'm describing has existed as long as I can remember, though few users seem to know it exists. (I get occasional replies asking, "How did you make that color background in your message?")

Here's a screen grab showing how it still works on my other Mac running Catalina OS:

Note how that little square panel under the word Fonts is manila-colored, which is what I chose in the color picker that it invokes, and which INSTANTLY appears as the background color in the test message! It is independent of text colors and formatting, which I show on my lorem ipsum text. This small but vital option is easy to use, and especially useful as a background when one pastes in screen grabs.

I'm beginning to think some coder stupidly eliminated this feature, and nobody at Apple is willing to admit the blunder.

I have used Macs since the original 128k model, and I've written code. Do I have to consider going to a third-party mail app because Apple has managed to screw up their own application?

Nov 15, 2022 1:50 PM in response to leroydouglas

Do you presume I didn't exhaust all avenues before writing this post? In point of fact, last week I spent 140 minutes talking to two other Apple support people who couldn't answer the question and promised to "take charge of this and call you back Friday."

Alas, they didn't, which is why I subsequently called days later and got a support guy who was sharp as a tack, and who worked assiduously to ferret out a solution before sending his own request to the product development team. At his suggestion, I also submitted detailed feedback to the URL you cite before starting this thread. I submit that is adequately "proactive."

Option to change background color in Mail message is GONE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.