Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps will not stay in Dock when restarting computer

I have some upgraded software Apps that will not stay in the Mac Dock after restarting, they are either reverting to the older version or showing a grey question mark, I have to reload each application every time I want to use it.

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 14, 2022 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 3:06 AM

Here I will concede to my learned colleague @Luis S before venturing into the removal of Dock plist file which will be recreated once the computer is restarted.

In Finder Hold the Option key. Library will appear when Held and disappear if Not Held

Navigate to Library >> Preferences and Drag the highlighted item in image to Desktop.

Restart computer.

The plist will recreated as needed

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2022 3:06 AM in response to Peter Kewley

Here I will concede to my learned colleague @Luis S before venturing into the removal of Dock plist file which will be recreated once the computer is restarted.

In Finder Hold the Option key. Library will appear when Held and disappear if Not Held

Navigate to Library >> Preferences and Drag the highlighted item in image to Desktop.

Restart computer.

The plist will recreated as needed

Nov 15, 2022 2:13 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The upgrades are Photoshop and Affinity Publisher 2, both owned applications, I go to the Applications folder and load the programmes and the programme icon loads to the Mac Dock ok, I can run the programmes, however when I turn off the computer of a night or restart it during the day the icons disappear from the dock and in the case of Photoshop is replaced with the previous version, with Affinity I have removed the previous version from the computer and only have the new upgrade installed, when I load that programme the icon loads to the Dock ok and I check that it is ticked to Keep in Dock, however on restarting the computer it is replaced with a grey question mark and I have to go back to the Applications folder and reload it every day.

Nov 15, 2022 11:55 AM in response to PRP_53

FIXED, thank you both for such support, I deleted the doc files as suggested above, restarted and then rebuilt the dock with current APP's, all good now the upgrade versions are all there and stay there after repeated restarts, very happy must have been too many old programs in the doc that would not allow the new ones to work.

Thanks again for your time and advice

Peter

Apps will not stay in Dock when restarting computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.