Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 16.1.1 Iphone Battery Drain

My Iphone 13 Pro Max battery drains much faster after IOS 16.1.1. It was already draining faster after earlier IOS 16 iterations but it’s much worse now with the latest update. Is anyone else having this issue? Why is IOS 16 so problematic for so many Iphones?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 15, 2022 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 11:15 PM

forever-the-luddite Said:

"IOS 16.1.1 Iphone Battery Drain: My Iphone 13 Pro Max battery drains much faster after IOS 16.1.1. It was already draining faster after earlier IOS 16 iterations but it’s much worse now with the latest update. Is anyone else having this issue? Why is IOS 16 so problematic for so many Iphones?"

-------

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update, and how you have troubleshoot this, thus far. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary
20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 11:15 PM in response to forever-the-luddite

forever-the-luddite Said:

"IOS 16.1.1 Iphone Battery Drain: My Iphone 13 Pro Max battery drains much faster after IOS 16.1.1. It was already draining faster after earlier IOS 16 iterations but it’s much worse now with the latest update. Is anyone else having this issue? Why is IOS 16 so problematic for so many Iphones?"

-------

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update, and how you have troubleshoot this, thus far. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Dec 12, 2022 2:14 PM in response to forever-the-luddite

If it means anything. My phone started to eat battery. My phone (14 Pro Max) was draining with nothing running and the absolute minimal usage. I tested it and made sure everything was turned off, Siri, background app refresh, brightness, you name it, it was off.

The genius bar ran tests last Wednesday, stated something is wrong with it and haven't gotten it back yet. Prior to that I was getting around 4 days per full charge. I updated to 16.1.2 and with no obvious change. Its extremely frustrating as Apple provides no real updates on what is going on nor when I will have it back. I expected more from them.

"Steps to Reproduce: Ran Mobile diagnostics

Ran battery usage diagnostics 

Viewed battery life in diagnostics, there is a sharp noticeable decline in battery life even when device is not actively in use

Viewed settings such as Always on display, background app refresh and toggled all off 

Customer states they already restored device using iTunes and set up as new at home"

Nov 16, 2022 8:39 AM in response to forever-the-luddite

It seems that I'm responding to 2 different people here. The screenshots that I got from the original poster, it seems the the graphing of the battery match the times and heavier usage, including the fact that Firefox is using 77% of the battery. You may need to watch that to see if it is using more than normal battery. 77% is a lot, but it seems that you are using it a lot looking at the screen time. Is there anything else using a high battery percentage?

Nov 16, 2022 2:30 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes, I noticed that high usage with Firefox. The next big user is Youtube at 7%. I’ll switch to Safari, but I’ve had battery and charging problems since IOS 16.0. Last month my charge cords started dying/shorting-out in just a week or two of use. Apple support couldn’t figure it out except to suggest using a 20W charger instead of 25w charger. That problem—with new cords not lasting long—hasn’t happened for a couple of weeks now but the faster battery drain is new, since 16.1.1.

Dec 12, 2022 12:51 PM in response to forever-the-luddite

I've been through all of this myself after upgrading my iPhone 12 Pro to iOS 16.1. The later point releases didn't make things any better. After a quite a long dialogue with Apple Support, I ended up restoring my iPhone to factory settings. Since then the battery life has recovered to its previous performance.

A quick warning if you're thinking of trying this: make sure you've got everything backed up to your Mac or PC, and also to iCloud. I couldn't restore my iPhone data and settings from my PC, but I was able to restore most of my settings from iCloud. I had some trouble getting my music restored, and Mail was unhappy for a couple of days but seems to have started working again now. It's also worth checking that apps like WhatsApp are also backed up to iCloud before proceeding.

Dec 12, 2022 1:49 PM in response to ayeCaledonian

Yes, 6.1.1 caused more battery drain as we’ve all discovered, but that’s because Apple added and turned on deeper settings for tracking and other battery activities. Once I dig deep into all of the settings and turned off a ton of things that I do t need (and neither do most), my drain stopped. No joke. You have to go into the general settings and other s to turn off what the last update turned on. That fixed it for me, but you have to patiently dig. I did mine two weeks ago and can’t recall everything that I turned off but I will note, that I didn’t have to turn off anything that I used or felt I needed for the drain to stop. It was things I had never heard of and they haven’t cause any adverse affects to my phone. Good luck hunting.

Dec 14, 2022 8:53 AM in response to ayeCaledonian

I may have spoken too soon. I noticed battery life was poor again today. I checked which apps had been using the most power, and Siri was top of the list (26%) even though I've disabled Listen for "Hey Siri", and hadn't been using Siri through the day anyway. This is similar to the problems I saw previously.

I've disabled Siri for the time being (this means I can't use CarPlay though).

IOS 16.1.1 Iphone Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.