Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

KOTOR 2 crashes on M1 Mini with Monterey

Hi!

I have a Mac M1 Mini with Monterey.

A game that was on my old system, Knights of the Old Republic 2, will not run oil the M1. It did not run on Big Sur and it does not run on Monterey. The game will launch, but when the "Play" button is pressed the game immediately crashes and closes with no error message.

I tried deleting KOTOR2 and re-downloading it from the App Store with no change. I also tried shutting off WiFi and Bluetooth.

I don't play games often but I would like it to work. Any ideas?

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 3:09 PM

Hi, ChicagoKeri, yeah, I've got a few ideas:

this doesn't have much at all to do with Wifi, or Bluetooth, so you can leave those settings alone, as changing them/shutting them off won't magically make KOTOR 2 run.... in older versions of the game, it was a bug that you had to shut off Wifi and Bluetooth to get the game to start/launch, period. what you'd have to do is see if you can get the App to run with Rosetta 2....here's what the heck Rosetta 2 is, what it does and WHY you need it, especially for KOTOR 2, see link (and may the Force be with you !) If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)...so what you'd have to do is click on the App/game in question, so it's highlighted, then press Apple+I keys together (get info)..... you should get a long window..... and somewhere in that window should be "Open in Rosetta", then save your changes..... the next time you click on the game to play it, and it doesn't work, then it should ask if you want to install Rosetta 2, say yes.....and let it install, then after it's done so, then hopefully when you click on KOTOR 2 it should start up and run..... I've checked the App store, and the most recent version of KOTOR 2 works with Mac OS 10.9.5..... apparently the Steam version of this game runs fine, at least on M1 Macs... as this game was made by Aspyr, you'd have to contact them for better support than I can offer you....

hope this helps

John B

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2022 3:09 PM in response to ChicagoKeri

Hi, ChicagoKeri, yeah, I've got a few ideas:

this doesn't have much at all to do with Wifi, or Bluetooth, so you can leave those settings alone, as changing them/shutting them off won't magically make KOTOR 2 run.... in older versions of the game, it was a bug that you had to shut off Wifi and Bluetooth to get the game to start/launch, period. what you'd have to do is see if you can get the App to run with Rosetta 2....here's what the heck Rosetta 2 is, what it does and WHY you need it, especially for KOTOR 2, see link (and may the Force be with you !) If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)...so what you'd have to do is click on the App/game in question, so it's highlighted, then press Apple+I keys together (get info)..... you should get a long window..... and somewhere in that window should be "Open in Rosetta", then save your changes..... the next time you click on the game to play it, and it doesn't work, then it should ask if you want to install Rosetta 2, say yes.....and let it install, then after it's done so, then hopefully when you click on KOTOR 2 it should start up and run..... I've checked the App store, and the most recent version of KOTOR 2 works with Mac OS 10.9.5..... apparently the Steam version of this game runs fine, at least on M1 Macs... as this game was made by Aspyr, you'd have to contact them for better support than I can offer you....

hope this helps

John B

Nov 21, 2022 4:06 PM in response to Johnb-one

Thanks for the fast reply and good idea.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. Get Info does not have an "Open in Rosetta" option at all.

Running install rosetta in Terminal doesn't seem to work correctly even though a "finished successfully" message appears.

Running a Terminal script to check Rosetta indicates that Rosetta is ok.

Next, I will try Rosetta on a different program.... when I get the chance..

Thanks again!

Keri R

KOTOR 2 crashes on M1 Mini with Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.