Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16.1.1 Battery Drain Issues on iPhone

iPhone 14 ProMax battery life has significantly come down, and I'd call it poor after updating to iOS 16.1.1 a couple of days back. 16% battery drain overnight in 7 Hours with no usage.

And almost 20% battery drain with 22 mins usage!

I tried to restart, force restart, and minimise the background app refresh (limited the number of apps from what it was in 16.1) - all ended up being futile.

Apple support ran a diagnostics and confirmed no issue with Hardware. Several people report similar problems and wonder if Apple engineers will acknowledge this and provide a fix.

Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Very poor for a premium product! Extremely disappointed.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 10:03 PM

Similar questions

28 replies

Nov 19, 2022 11:59 PM in response to ronnyo

Hey I have the same issue since IOS 16.1 and 16.1.1 with my iPhone 14 Pro I tried everything like complete restore without save and turning off all setting that could be impacting but nothing.. and I woke up this morning my phone was turned off because of that... and when its one charging on my magsafe duo the phone overheat and shut down charging some time

Nov 28, 2022 8:00 AM in response to arjuuns

Yep, same here. iPhone 13 Pro; battery has been AWESOME for almost a year now and all of a sudden it's garbage no matter what I try. I chatted with Apple Support for HOURS trying to troubleshoot. I ended up:

1) Re-installing the OS per their guidance

2) Chatting with support again to be told i had to take it into the Apple store where they would run a more comprehensive diagnostic than they were able to do remotely

3) Taking my phone to the Apple store where they told me there was no more comprehensive diagnostic and they're not sure why the support person had told me that. They said the best I could do was completely wipe my phone and start from scratch and that should resolve the issue.

4) Completely wiped my phone and settings and re-installing the OS from scratch as if brand new (then subsequently re-installing the apps and re-configuring setting... so ~8-10 hours of time invested in doing all of this; not including the time spent chatting with Apple, reinstalling the OS, and taking the phone to the store previously)

5) Threw my hands in the air as frustrated as possible because nothing works; have resorted to just constantly charging my phone whenever I can so that I don't run out of battery when I need to be away from a charger.

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 5, 2022 4:55 PM in response to arjuuns

I did a factory reset a couple of weeks back and all seemed fine. But alas, the problem is back again. Siri is eating battery at night when not in use. Almost 15 gone in 6 hours over night. Come on apple, acknowledge the problem and fix it. We're paying premium for your phones 1 not for this shoddy experience.

Nov 17, 2022 1:21 AM in response to arjuuns

Exactly the same happened to my iPhone 14 Pro a couple of days after updating to 16.1.1. I lost 49% during the night. Checking the battery usage, Siri had 90% activity. I turned off "Listen to hey Siri" and since then the drainaged stopped. Not sure if turning off listen to Hey Siri was the solution or it was just Siri indexing a lot.

Nov 24, 2022 6:33 AM in response to arjuuns

I never comment on anything but I thought I’d share my experience. I have an iPhone 14 pro Max 128GB. I recently started biking and it’s been a blast. Before 16.1.1 I’d attach my phone and go around town all day and come back with a phone with lots of juice. After my update few days, looked down at my phone and noticed the phones battery depleting at a much quicker rate. I had read Apple slows down phones after updates but this was ridiculous brand new top of the lines phones should not have these kinds of issues. I will set up an appointment with the “genius” bar to run diagnostic. I believe the only fix will be another OTA update but who knows when that’ll be.

Dec 1, 2022 9:54 AM in response to bomberpoland

Yes, please don't waste your time reinstalling the OS and wiping your data. I did both and was not able to resolve my issue. I have spent weeks and ~20+ hours of my time working on this issue with multiple calls and chats with Apple Support. Their advise will not resolve the problem for you.

At this point I believe it is a software issue and I'm confident that an iOS update (fingers crossed that is coming soon) will fix it for us all.

Dec 2, 2022 3:26 AM in response to arjuuns

Same issue here.... but only happened this week when I upgraded to the iPhone 14 from the iPhone 12. The 12 was running 16.1 with no issues at all.

I have had the phone a total of 4 days... 2 of those days the issue was not present and the phone behaved normally. The other two days the phone became very hot when charging and using. Siri is showing as consuming majority of the battery.

Recent actions I took.... I turned off "Hey Siri" and updated to iOS 16.1.2... will update any changes or improvements

Dec 6, 2022 2:10 AM in response to arjuuns

Turning off "Hey Siri" did not fix this for me. In the last 7 days I have only had the issue 2 times. The most recent being last night. Wake up, phone on wireless charger and very hot but charged to 100%. I take it off of charger and it loses 10% battery life in 1 hour. This time is was showing thet "home and lock screen" were using a lot of battery. I have no widgets and my screen was off

Dec 6, 2022 2:51 AM in response to johnfromst. eustache

johnfromst. eustache wrote:
Turning off "Hey Siri" did not fix this for me.

me too.

Wake up, phone on wireless charger and very hot but charged to 100%

me too.

it loses 10% battery life in 1 hour.

I turned off Bluetooth on iPhone today and I lose 10% but... in 7 hours.

also Apple Watch started work properly (no battery drain) - I know that without bluetooth connection works independently.

The worst part is that Apple Support doesn't take this problem seriously...

Jan 3, 2023 10:42 AM in response to arjuuns

I had the same issues with 16.1, 16.1.1 and now 16.2. Significant battery drain simply due to iOS 16. I can still go an entire day by only charging my 13 Mini once, but when I was on iOS 15.x I was able to go an entire day without charging and I still had 30-50% charge left at bedtime, so iOS 16 has caused a major degradation in battery life.

iOS 16.1.1 Battery Drain Issues on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.