Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When opening Apple Music app on Mac - This iphone is open in another window

Everytime I try to open Apple Music and access music on my iphone (remove/transfer music)

I get this same message saying the iphone is open in another window.

Now there are other answers on here (but wouldn't let me add mine to the page, had to start a new topic) saying close the Music app from full screen window before closing, firstly I do not run music or any other app/program in full screen anyway, so this is not the issue.

Second is people say to delete the Plist entries in Library folder, this doesn't work either.

(Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Music.plist & com.apple.Music.eq.plist)

This is an ongoing issue with no real solution or fix, it seems ever time I plug my iphone in

it opens up some secret invisible window on a seperate process.

I have even tried to turn off bluetooth & wifi on my iphone so it's not connected, shut everything down, yet as soon as I open Apple Music on my mac, my iphone is still there connected somehow.

anyone know how to fix this?

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 10:46 AM

Similar questions

18 replies

Nov 20, 2022 11:00 AM in response to nhaigh

Which version of macOS?

Connecting using wireless, or a cable?

Are you storing your music in your Mac music library, or storing it in Apple Music or iTunes Match?

Are there any other third-party music-related apps installed on the Mac?

PS: per the other reply above, the Apple Music app in macOS is protected and is not deletable without shutting off system integrity protection. Which I would generally not recommend doing.

Nov 20, 2022 11:15 AM in response to MrHoffman

I am running everything updated, I always make sure I am running latest software updates on all my devices Ventura 13.0.1, iPhone 16.1.1.

I have tried connecting either or, wifi & just via lighting cable, like I mentioned in original post, tried turning off Bluetooth and wifi to make sure there is no other connection other than one or the other.

I only have 1 other third party music app but this is just an mp3 player, but this is not running.

I store music on an external hard drive and only transfer files as an when I want them on my iPhone (transfer directly), I don't like Music app getting too cluttered.

Thanks

Nov 20, 2022 11:26 AM in response to nhaigh

nhaigh wrote:

…I store music on an external hard drive and only transfer files as an when I want them on my iPhone (transfer directly), I don't like Music app getting too cluttered…

I’d suspect that this is the trigger; that you’re maintaining your music library outside of Apple Music and its library, and that’s getting something tangled. Finder is a potential culprit for (also) accessing the device.

I’d tend to contact Apple Support here, as what you’re doing is a little unusual, if I’m inferring your usual sequence correctly.

Other option is to keep backups outside the library, and mice copies into Apple Music and then let that sync.

Confusingly, there are three difficult hunks potentially involved here: Apple Music (the app, which is involved), Apple Music (the service), and iTunes Match (the service). I’ll assume you are here not using Apple Music (the service), or iTunes Match (the service). Just the app.

Nov 20, 2022 11:33 AM in response to MrHoffman

Well I have been using the system this way for many many yrs, even back with iTunes you can either select Music/iTunes to AutoSync folders, so anything you place inside the Music folder will auto sync or Manual i.e.

transfer as and when, this has always worked for me as I get music from elsewhere and don't use Apple Music as a service. Just as a means to get the music from AtoB.

Never had an issue before (in the years I have used it)

It may have something to do with Finder though, this could be correct as it only appeared when Finder allows you to see your iPhone and access it this way.

Even so, I have tried to Force Quit finder and only have the Music window open, still persists.

Nov 23, 2022 11:52 AM in response to nhaigh

nhaigh wrote:

This option is always unticked when I shut down so this unfortunately won’t help.
thank you for the input though

To confirm… If you shut down the Mac with the open-new-windows setting (for the shutdown and restart!) disabled, does that help? You’re referring to the shutdown option for this?

This is all headed for a new login or for a re-install, as something seems corrupted here.

Dec 26, 2022 2:08 PM in response to nhaigh

I too had this challenge and attempted each of the solutions from several forum pages. As a final step, I opened my Apple Music app and interestingly, had to sign in to my account (I wanted to check my settings). Once I did this, and after seeing nothing unusual, I went tot eh "Authorizations" tab and selected "Authorize this computer" (knowing full well that it had been authorized before). I received a message that said "this computer has already been authorized but we re-authorized it." I went back to the left panel, selected my iPhone and Boom! - fixed. Hope this works for everyone!

When opening Apple Music app on Mac - This iphone is open in another window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.