Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing iPhone

I have an old iPhone that I want to give to my granddaughter. The problem is there is still the iCloud address from someone I let borrow it. There’s no way of contacting them so is there anyway of getting their iCloud off the phone so I can reset it ?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2022 10:41 AM

If you have a copy of the original receipt, you can make a request to Apple to ask them to remove the Activation Lock. See this support document. How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

9 replies

Nov 26, 2022 11:58 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Ahh I see ok. Thank you. My next question is if I fill in an activation unlock will they erase all of my data under my email address as I don’t want that as it’s not my iCloud that needs erasing but the iCloud address on my old phone which isn’t my iCloud. Not sure if that makes sense? Just don’t want to use my details and then end up losing all of my data

Nov 27, 2022 9:02 AM in response to JC5444

Your data should not be on the iPhone. If you are asking about your iCloud, erasing the iPhone at this point will have no affect on your iCloud account and/or data. You say you have already wiped the phone anyway. However, without the receipt, I'm not sure Apple will remove the Activation Lock. That is something you will have to discuss with them. Without the receipt, there is no way to prove to Apple that you are the owner, since it is not your Apple ID you are asking to remove.

Erasing iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.