Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Signatures disappear on mail

Hi team, twice over the past few weeks the signatures I've saved on Mail have disappeared. The problem has happened since I updated to Ventura 13.0.1. I have a MacBook Air M1. Can someone help please?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2022 11:27 AM

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2022 11:27 AM in response to DocZoe

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Nov 29, 2022 11:36 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad, thank you for your help. No I don't have any of those apps downloaded or running. What is the problem that a reboot in safe mode will fix it, can you tell me please? I recently did a factory re-set because I was having difficulty downloading Ventura. The re-set cleaned the hard drive up and I was able to download it ok. This problem has started since then.

Nov 29, 2022 11:41 AM in response to DocZoe

This is what a Same Mode boot does:

3rd party apps could interfere with normal performance or a system cache file could be damaged. It's on of the "first responder" fixes we try.

Nov 29, 2022 11:57 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you. I'll try that and get back to you. I'm guessing it won't restore the lost signatures. So I'll re-create them and see if they disappear again. Each time I've re-created the signatures they stay for a week or so. The only 3rd party app I'm running is f.lux but I've run that for years. I have extensions on my browsers too. Otherwise can't think of anything that would interfere with the OS.

Dec 5, 2022 6:40 PM in response to imageminister

Hi imageminister, after two online chats, the issue was referred to the technicians. The first one I spoke to referred me to a senior technician. He did some extensive research to find out that there were two other known cases and that one of them had discovered a work-around. The work-around was to go to system preferences, click on your Apple ID, select iCloud, then select iCloud drive, then options. Scroll down and unclick Mail. Then back out. I think I did a restart then. Problem fixed. The senior tech said he would be passing this on to the engineers who will fix the problem in the next OS update. Hope this helps!

Signatures disappear on mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.