Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to identify iPhone backup on Mac

When we got new phones, I backed up my daughter's phone to my Macbook Pro.

Now her phone has crapped out and she's trying to identify what backup she has.

I looked and found that the backup would be here:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

And I found folders/files there, but I don't know how to tell what the backups are for (specifically whose phone and when).

Any ideas how to do that, when my daughter's phone is an hour away and not functioning?

Thanks.

iPhone 11

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 9:42 AM

The backups are identified by the phone's name in iTunes or Finder (macOS Catalina and later).

You can connect any iOS Device to the Mac (does not need to be the one the backup you want is for), wait for it to show up in Finder or iTunes, click on it on the side bar and then Click on Manage Backups.

It will list all backups stored on the Mac, by device name and date.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2022 9:42 AM in response to jrbw3mi

The backups are identified by the phone's name in iTunes or Finder (macOS Catalina and later).

You can connect any iOS Device to the Mac (does not need to be the one the backup you want is for), wait for it to show up in Finder or iTunes, click on it on the side bar and then Click on Manage Backups.

It will list all backups stored on the Mac, by device name and date.

How to identify iPhone backup on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.