Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

State of Repair for a Refurbished iPad

So I just got a refurbished seventh generation space gray 128 gig iPad. Upon taking it out of the box and unwrapping it, I noticed that the light gleamed on the left side of the iPad. Looking closer it looks as if there's some paint scratched off and on the back side there's a black dot in the middle of the iPad. Oh wait that's a microphone hole. Anyways, my question is "Is it generally common or typical for a refurbished iPad to come with scratches, dents and/ or paint chipped off? Thanks. I wanted to exchange you but was told I couldn't I could return it and then purchase another

I was like Um one okay, are we conducting business like Samsung now? Cause that a total Samsung move right there!

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Cell 5G

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 9:11 PM

Thank you. I will probably do that. I'm still debating. I mean if they sometimes come with minor flaws I'm okay. It's the Apple Security that I am truly thinking of, that's the important factor

Tha k you for both of your help and time Michael and Michelle!

I appreciate that!

Similar questions

15 replies

Dec 5, 2022 5:19 PM in response to MrPool72

Where was this refurbished Apple iPad being aold by?

Apple's own refurbished program replaces both the internal battery and a new aluminium back casing/chassis.

Apple treats their own refurbishment items as “like new” and you can get/pay for all applicable Apple warranty plans.

So, if this iPad was ordered from Apple's own refurbished and clearance section of their Website, you can, indeed, return it for another refirbished iPad model.

Dec 5, 2022 6:20 PM in response to MrPool72

Just a FYI, but If it was not purchased from the Apple online refurbished item store (not available in all countries or regions), then it was not OEM refurbished by Apple. Only Apple itself sells Apple OEM refurbished Apple devices.

Anyone and everyone else selling “refurbished” Apple devices is using third party refurbisher and parts. And their definition of what refurbishment means will also vary. For many, it just means cleaned up and checked that it works and little else. And, for third party refurb items, any return/exchange or refund or warranty will be dependent on who sold it and/or who refurbished it.

Dec 5, 2022 6:24 PM in response to MrPool72

If you purchased this refurbished iPad from elswhere, other than from Apple, you need to contact that seller to find out their return/exchange policies for refurbished products that still have previous user damage to them.

Some refurbished resellers only refurbish/repair an existing device and offer nothing for any new external parts other than, perhaps, an brand new third party battery replacement.

Some refurbish resellers may cannibalise parts from better “taken care of” devices that cannot be fully repaired or resurrected.

Dec 5, 2022 6:33 PM in response to MrPool72

Then the normal 14 day unconditional return period applies as does the full one year Apple standard warranty.

Note that to return a device for a full refund (you can purchase the same item again afterwards) requires no explanation and no conditions. You get a full refund of your purchase.

If you’re claiming warranty service, Apple normally does not offer replacement of a device (new or refurbished) for purely cosmetic issues that do not affect function. That’s what the 14 day unconditional return period covers though - a fully refunded return for any reason under the sun.

Dec 5, 2022 6:32 PM in response to Michael Black

Ya know ,Ladies, if I may be so bold to use gender here, but I thought the same thing... That even though it's Apple Refurbished , there is still a higher expectation on an Apple product. I mean , if I bought a Pre-owned Certified Lexus, I wouldn't see a scratch it ding on it?? Would I?

But the guy , from Apple, told me that , "It's refurbished, yes there will be dings, and scratches on it."

Me- " Can I exchange it ? '

Him - "No, you have to return it and then buy another one."

Me- " I gotta think about it . ( When really I was thinking... I want a second opinion!)" So here I am.

Dec 5, 2022 7:02 PM in response to MrPool72

Err, my name is right there, and it’s Michael so no female gender here? I am an old, long grey-bearded male ;-).

And note these forums are users helping other users. This is not Apple Corporate Support, so we here don’t work for Apple. How Apple sells, should sell or could sell items is not something anyone here can address.

The return policy for new items can work as a simple exchange if they have the same item in stock. I know as I have done that before with an iPad.

But the retail stores don’t have refurbished items in stock to exchange. So a return for refund and then repurchase online is the only way to affect a refurbished item swap.

Dec 5, 2022 7:41 PM in response to MrPool72

I am, also, male, but I have the French spelling of Michael, which is Michel ( ME-shell ).

And everything Michael Black explained is correct and “right on the money”!

The Apple person you spoke with was entirely mistaken, which is really strange to me.

Best of Luck to You on the device return.

The 14-day unconditional return fully applies to all Apple direct refurbished devices.

There should be ZERO issue returning this refurbished iPad for a full refund and getting another refurbished Apple iPad.

Apple stands ( or should be standing ) behind any of its refurbished store, “like new” products!

Best of Luck to You!

Dec 5, 2022 7:41 PM in response to MrPool72

No worries. Just to make the point though - since refurb items are only sold online, you cannot use the 14 day return period to effect a swap of one device with an identical device at an Apple retail store. The store doesn’t have a refurb’d device to swap with you.

So you can exercise your 14 day return window to get a refund. And then reorder from the online refurb store.

Dec 5, 2022 7:44 PM in response to Michael Black

Michael Black wrote:

No worries. Just to make the point though - since refurb items are only sold online, you cannot use the 14 day return period to effect a swap of one device with an identical device at an Apple retail store. The store doesn’t have a refurb’d device to swap with you.

So you can exercise your 14 day return window to get a refund. And then reorder from the online refurb store.

Yes.

That is correct.

Forgot to mention that bit.

👍👌

State of Repair for a Refurbished iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.