Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tune Up iMac

is there an internal program to tune up my iMac?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 1:25 PM

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2022 1:25 PM in response to Smcrg

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Dec 9, 2022 4:37 PM in response to Smcrg

Hello!

You should not use any program that claims to "speed up" or "cleanup" your Mac.

Rather, I believe you should create an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a simple, helpful utility to diagnose and identify both software and select hardware issues.

If your Mac is experiencing an issue, such as poor performance or running slowly, kernel panics, apps freezing or quitting unexpectedly, storage issues, and many more, generating an EtreCheck report is a great place to start for troubleshooting issues with your Mac while getting help at Apple Support Community. EtreCheck was developed by a highly respected member of these very Apple Support Community forums, and it is trusted by many users.

Downloading

To get started, download EtreCheck:

https://etrecheck.com/en/welcome.html

Click “download” on the site. The app will be downloaded to your Mac to your downloads location, which is the “Downloads” folder by default. This can be accessed by going to the Finder > Go (in the top menu bar) > Downloads.

Open the app, and generate a report

Open the downloaded application, and follow the initial steps to open the app. Choose a problem in the drop-down menu, and click Start. Creating a report typically takes 2-4 minutes on a healthy Mac.

View your report, and upload a copy to Apple Support Community

Once you have your report generated, you can upload it to Apple Support Community for us to review and provide suggestions. Please refer to this document with instructions for uploading your report and using the “Additional Text” function of Apple Support Community:

How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report - Apple Community.

If you need help in the meantime, please let us know!

Jack

Dec 10, 2022 10:09 AM in response to Smcrg

I strongly second the advice given above. I will offer some additional comments which might be helpful.

• Regularly empty your Trash.
  • Periodically restart the computer, say at least once a week.
  • Avoid installing what I call "junk apps". They can cause conflicts with your computer's operating system.
  • Once in a while run the Disk Utility app.
  • Never, never install any antivirus apps. They will seriously slow down your computer and usually cause other problems.

Dec 9, 2022 5:28 PM in response to Smcrg

Cat-like, Macs clean themselves. For over 20 years, the macOS has featured elegant and automated self-maintenance features that handle all the housekeeping your computer needs. It even defrags.

Third-party developers know this but continue to foist so-called "cleaning" and "Tune-up" apps on Mac users. Such useless apps conflict with the elegant programming your paid Apple to build into the system, and can cause slow-downs and instability.

Please let your Mac be a Mac.

And yes, if you are seeing slow behavior, posting a EtreCheck report is absolutely the best first step in resolving issues in a setting where we can neither see, touch, not remotely access your computer.

Tune Up iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.