Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures not synching in Ventura (via USB) - NOT using PHOTOS app. NOT using iCloud.

This is very similar to problems I have had in past years. Please see this thread.

VERY slow sync (hours!) for pictures via … - Apple Community

I have a brand new M1 Studio with Ventura up to date. iOS is up to date as well. I have tried on 2 iPads to sync photos.

I do not use the Photos app, I just organize my pix into folders.

Normally I would plug in my iPad and the photos would sync, it would take a few minutes and only the newest pix would be transferred. This is how it has (mostly) worked over the years I have been doing this. It no longer works.

I have also tried this on my Intel MBP (Ventura) with similar results. It takes many hours, wants to wipe all the pictures, and only some of them transfer. On the MBP it sat for 12 hours and didn't transfer anything.

Posting in case anyone else has experienced this. WILL report to Apple Support of course.

TIA.

Mac Studio

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 11:36 AM

That's how I did it when I was using my 3rd party cameras with memory cards. Don't have them any left so can't test.

It's a long shot but give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2022 11:36 AM in response to Squiddz

That's how I did it when I was using my 3rd party cameras with memory cards. Don't have them any left so can't test.

It's a long shot but give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Dec 10, 2022 11:03 AM in response to Old Toad

I just insert the SD card into the card reader, and copy the photos onto my Mac. (Most of my photos are from a camera, not a phone, I should have mentioned that).

I've done it this way since 2011 probably. And like I mentioned earlier, occasionally a Mac OS update breaks this functionality. It's happening again and I did report it.

Thank you for your reply.

Pictures not synching in Ventura (via USB) - NOT using PHOTOS app. NOT using iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.