Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logging into BMO Online Banking in Canada

Today the only site I cannot get a proper login page to is my main bank which is BMO Bank of Montreal in Canada. It will not give me the usual sing in page with a spot for your Debit Card # and Password.

I do not store my password on the iMac.

I can access all other Banks and web sites that I frequent - it is just BMO.

Has anyone else had this problem. I cleared the cache, the cookies and all other stuff and rebooted the computer but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated - I also tried on my wife's MacBook Pro and it was the same thing - the browser is the standard google browser and it works with all other sites I frequent.

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 12:58 PM

Similar questions

29 replies

Dec 13, 2022 10:49 AM in response to rodpaul1165

Consider one more suggestion that will either definitively place fault squarely on the bank, or justify additional investigation on your part.

Read Intro to macOS Recovery - Apple Support, and then boot macOS Recovery according to the appropriate link for your specific model Mac (Apple Silicon or Intel) in its Step 3.

Once in Recovery, launch Safari and log into that bank's website. You will need to have your bank's login credentials ahead of time because that version of Safari will not know them.

Determine if the same problem exists while in that Recovery mode.

• If it does, then you might as well find another bank because only the bank will be able to fix its online banking problems.
  • If it does not, you may be able to ameliorate the problem, but it will require additional effort on your part. Reinstalling macOS would be the next logical step.

Dec 23, 2022 12:31 PM in response to rodpaul1165

On my aging iMac, Google Chrome Version 108.0.5359.124 works with BMO site but Safari stopped working a week or two ago. I am running Safari 13.1.2 and macOS 10.13.6

When I go to the login page with Safari I get a small blue box with the BMO logo in the upper left corner with couple pick points that don't do very much. One is to switch from EN to FR.

Dec 18, 2022 10:03 AM in response to davidfromstittsvillle

davidfromstittsvillle wrote:

Told me they are having issues with Safari and to try Google Chrome. I’m elderly and am not going to do that.

The bank is asking you to install a product on your Mac specifically developed for harvesting your personal information and selling it.

Do they derive kickback revenue from Google? If so, do they share it with you?

Assuming the answers to those questions is "no" then two possible conclusions exist: either they know what they are asking of you, and don't care, or they do know what they are asking, and are being dishonest. Neither one of them is consistent with a business expected to keep your money or investments secure.

Dec 13, 2022 9:33 AM in response to rodpaul1165

rodpaul1165 wrote:

Has anyone else had this problem. ...

To answer that question, no I have not had that problem. However I do not use that bank.

Since it appears no one else has been experiencing that problem and / or does not use that bank's online services, please determine if the following Apple Support document offers any solutions: If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn't working as expected - Apple Support.

Dec 18, 2022 1:32 PM in response to John Galt

BMO is playing dumb. They don't read the messages I am sending and my messages are getting mutilated by their REALLY BAD Message System.

I had someone called Marissa C. answer and it was totally clear that she

a) did not read a single word of my message and/or was reading a message from 5 years ago

b)tried to blame it on Trusteer - that's ancient history

C)told me, YES TOLD me to use Google Chrome and that Apple and Safari were the problem.

I have already done a test courtesy of John Galt which squarely put the problem in their court.

they will acknowledge there is a problem - the problem is with all of us.

So the I used Inspector and inspected their login page and here is what I got

BMO

[Error] Failed to load resource: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “fast.bmofinancial.demdex.net” which could put your confidential information at risk. (dest5.html, line 0)

Failed to load resource: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “fast.bmofinancial.demdex.net” which could put your confidential information at risk.

"container.buildInfo.environment is deprecated.Please use `container.environment.stage` instead"

– "container.buildInfo.environment is deprecated.Please use `container.environment.stage` instead"

[Log] DOMContentLoaded: eventName: undefined eventMessage: undefined (script.js, line 9)

[Log] Sending page loading time – "1.22" – "www1.bmo.com" (script.js, line 39)

[Log] cdbbossiteId cookie:  deleted! (4560.637f52a0df5d2ed7.js, line 1)

[Log] notifyEvent (login, line 2)

[Log] customEvents- no comma:  (login, line 2)

[Log] standardEvents:  (login, line 2)

[Log] bmoEvents:  (login, line 2)

[Log] conversionEventsObj:  (login, line 2)

When I went in a had a look there were a number of issue with their site chief among them being that Safari either gets a DNS error 404 - could not find server OR Safari thought the website was not legitimate and the licence had expired.

So try using inspector and be prepared to be amazed at just how bad their site is.

So here are the erros I just found 2 more docs attached

So it is pretty clear where the problem is BMO and they refuse to acknowledge it or do anything about it.

This is absolutely unconscionable - and it is NOT the first time I have a problem with them. Share this with all others who have encountered this problem or will and just keep badgering them.

They are totally useless and seem to pushing Goggle Chrome on us as is Google. Hmmmm..

Dec 21, 2022 2:25 PM in response to rodpaul1165

So today I got another ridiculous message from BMO that my browser 13.1. something or other is suddenly no longer supported.

I basically said BS.

Then what I did was I went and finally diablo my extensions for SECURITY and then added 1 exception to the one of them for the bank. Cleared the cache, emptied the cookies and relaunched the browser and what do you know.

I got my login page and logged in - now here's the RICH part - it was the old style site - but it still worked was current and relevant and works fine.

A bit of a pain but there you have it. It was the extensions all along and I include a scree shot of the for your perusal -

So they REALLY do have a problem - I don't like disabling Security related extensions.

Ross D

Dec 13, 2022 9:49 AM in response to rodpaul1165

I have done every single thing outlined. I can open and log into all my 17 different web sites including my other banks and investment firm. The only site that does not even present a login page, which is the issue, is the Bank of Montreal in Canada, which unfortunately is my main bank

I have spent over 8 hours in a futile effort to connect with this bank. It worked fine on Sunday and then when I tried on Monday I could not even get a log in page, I can connect to the bank's main site but when I click Log In to Online Banking I am presented with a blank page and the banks logo in the upper left hand corner of the Safari Browser.

So since this is a major issue for me and my wife - she has the same problem on her MacBook Pro we had to download Google Chrome which of course worked.

So of ALL the Website's I do business with or want to login to work the only one that does not is the Bank of Montreal. I have called the Bank of Montreal and frankly was underwhelmed by their sense of urgency or ability to identify the problem.

So Safari works for ALL web site and logging into them with the SOLE EXCEPTION OF THE BANK OF MONTREAL - which is notorious for allowing hacking previously. It was working fine Saturday. It is not working fine anymore so I have to use a different browser for ONE WEBSIT BMO.

That IS Ridiculous!

Thanks for the suggestions but I already saw these suggestions presented when this happened a few years ago, the year in fact they were hacked. I have not been hacked and otherwise everything on my iMac and my wife's MacBook Pro work just fine everywhere except THIS one bank.

Thank you for your suggestions. I can only assume it is the bank and problems with Safari.

Dec 13, 2022 12:17 PM in response to John Galt

I did as you suggested.

The problem still persisted in Recovery mode so now we know what I thought all along - it is the bank. This comes as no surprise to me.

So you know I took the Favourite 'link' for BMO Sing In out the Favourites Bar. then I closed safari after deleting history and cleaning the cache and all the other things required.

Then I simply typed into Safari with the Google Interface/search engine and I got an OLD long in page and sporadically it worked - I was able to log into the old online site and all the info was there in the old format.

Then just for the **** of it I used Google Chrome and it is instantaneous to the login page.

The issue in all case being that using Safari the original way we did from Sunday past through our life here is that the bio online banking link did not present a proper login screen.

Oh I could periodically get one in the old format so changing banks at his stage in my life with all the things connected to our 3 accounts is too much of a chore so we will use Google Chrome for BMO Online Banking only.

A truly bizarre scenario.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Regards,

Ross D.

Everyone has a Plan Until They Get Punched in the Mouth Mike Tyson

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Dec 17, 2022 4:06 PM in response to rodpaul1165

I am having the exact same issue as you, login page not working and blue logo in top left hand corner, everything else works with BMO except that page and no issues with any of my other bank sites. Have done everything to try and get it to work but no luck. Tried dealing with BMO but they are useless. Downloaded chrome and it does work. Its a MacBook Pro. Must have just happened last week sometime because I was on Vacation and when I got back I went to use it last weekend and noticed it didn't work but it worked fine before I left. Anyway I guess I will have to use chrome as well until they fix it. Not liking the changes BMO is making to their online platforms and their trading platform is crap as well now. So frustrating...

Dec 18, 2022 6:07 AM in response to ricer15

I’m having the exact same problem. Safari takes me to the BMO main site, but when you try to log in to your online banking site, you get a blank page with BMO in the upper left hand corner but nothing that allows you to put in your access and password. When you call their help line they are useless. Told me they are having issues with Safari and to try Google Chrome. I’m elderly and am not going to do that. I’ll be changing to another Bank, where I don’t have this problem.

This must be widespread as many MAC users use Safari as their browser. It’s BMO’s problem and there doesn’t seem to be any urgency to fix this issue.

Dec 18, 2022 1:40 PM in response to rodpaul1165

You are going to love this - here is the latest response I have received today from them

"Thank you for contacting BMO Bank of Montreal.

Thank you for taking the time to share your suggestion for our new Online Banking site. We appreciate your feedback. While reviewing your profile, I would like to acknowledge that we have received 1 message from you with ticket reference number 32262496. Please be assured that my reply to this email will also serve to address all inquiries included in your other emails.

I'm sorry to learn you are having difficulty when trying to sign into our new Online Banking site. If you are using a bookmark to access our sign-in page, please go directly to www.bmo.com instead and select Online Banking to sign-in. If you are using Edge, please try a different browser. This may resolve the issue.

Our New site was designed to provide an enhanced Online Banking experience with streamlined navigation, fewer steps to complete transactions, enhanced security features and a similar feel between Online and Mobile Banking.

Of course, we will never stop working on identifying new opportunities to improve our online services or introducing new features and functionality that customers are asking for. Receiving insights like this is invaluable to identifying those opportunities; as it helps us better understand the needs and expectations of our customers.

To this end, I have shared your suggestion with our digital banking design team for their review and consideration in future enhancements to our new Online Banking site.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your suggestion. On behalf of BMO Bank of Montreal, I wish you a wonderful day.

If you have any questions, please contact us again. Thank you for choosing BMO Bank of Montreal. We wish you a safe and happy holiday season."

They have NO idea what they are dealing with.

They have brain dead customer service agents who using nothing but phones from home to offers these gratuitous responses to legitimate issues raised and they are NOT steeping up to the plate.

Let them know by mass phone calling them that THEY HAVE A PROBLEM many of us NEED fixed. It is a NEED not a wish!!

Dec 18, 2022 2:04 PM in response to John Galt

John, have a look at what I found with Inspector below.

If you need me to resend to you directly I can do that.

They ARE PUSHING GOOGLE CHROME which is where I get most of my SPAM and or dangerous links.

Basic Customer Service people with little real education and no understanding of computers are responding gratuitously to problems they wither

a) do not understand and incapable of answering or

b) pushing Google Chrome on us and they are doing it selectively.

I started with IBM in 1969 and the Xerox Palo Alto Centre where we worked on the mouse and graphic user interface and I learned in engineering school how to program (code) in multiple languages.

Here's the thing. I found a back door way and got into their old site and my info was there. Now they have done something to screw up Safari or me and selected other people who 'bank' with them.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Dec 18, 2022 2:08 PM in response to rodpaul1165

rodpaul1165 that is excellent investigative work on your part.

Safari requires strict adherence to security certificates, whereas other browsers may allow for invalid or expired certificates such as that website appears to have incorporated in its code. Security certificates are often poorly implemented, but Apple expects website developers to do things the right way. Otherwise, why bother having them?

An invalid certificate may be consequential, or it may not, but it absolutely suggests a lax approach to security. For a fiduciary such as a bank, that should be considered unacceptable. Dismissing your stated concerns out of hand (use a less secure browser?) is even worse.

Dec 18, 2022 6:05 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you. What's even more amazing is your point about other brothers to wit - google Chrome. When I use the Inspector of the Login page on it I get the same results DNS 404 error and while it generally refers to the expired security certificate - it of course does not find fault with it and remarkably will present the login page for you to enter your bank number and password which I DO NOT STORE ON my computers but rather remember and manually type it in.

How it can still prevent the login page properly - yet indicate it cannot find the server I find remarkably puxzzling and have to give that more thought.

I will give the bank the information, but fail to understand how one of the 5 major chartered banks in Canada could allow such a lapse.

Could it have something to do with the fact they are the only major bank in Canada who have been successfully hacked.

I find it a bit rich that the bank STILL after all these years want to place blame on that truly bad IBM software Trusteer - which they insisted we all install - what - oh 8-10 years ago. I discovered that and didn't wait for them to uninstall it with extreme prejudice.

Oh and that fact I told them the Mac OSX I am operating and the Safari #, and then for them to come back and say - wait for it.......... I should consider upgrading from OS Mavericks and the old Safari associated with that nice operating system - why that happened so long ago I cannot even remember it.

Hmmm Mac OS High Sierra and Safari Version 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5). which accesses 27 sites securely and without issue including all the other chartered banks in Canada I do business with - which is ALL of them.

Their Security Certificates are all in order.

This is cyber unconsciousness and disgraceful behaviour for a major Chartered Bank.

Dec 23, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Paul Sadler1

Well that is the same as me.

Aging or not it still works on all BMO sites except Personal Banking, Investorline works etc.

So I needed something fast so I got Google Chrome just for BMO and then later went to work and what I found was my Bitdefender Software has 4 other security features and they were interfering with BMO's site.

So I cleaned everything out, the chances, cookies etc., went into Safari Preference unchecked the first two items suggestions for a search engine - put in Bing. closed Safari, restarted and I got it randomly but funnily enough to the old style site which of course is still there - all they did was create a shell over the old site - same data everything else.

They are trying to tell me the only Safari that works at BMO is the very latest which si total BS. I proved it.

They have a problem - they always have a problem and I have been hounding them them with facts and figures.

Just look above I what I found and all you have to do is once you get the Blank log in page with the BMO logo and the EN to Fr which works and also Branch locator, just right click on the page and and elect Inspected at the bottom of the menu and take a look - you will see some Red Warnings and Amber alerts.

This bank is a joke when it comes to technology and always has been and they still use Trusteer and push it but it does not work on Mac's.

I will humour them using goggle Chrome which I don't trust for good reason for just this site and have set us as many safeguards as possible.

I can get into all other banks in Canada nd 3 in the USA as well as my 2 Investment firms and 17 other sites I am registered with.

They are hopeless. I have too much tied up with them to chang right now but will be come spring

Ross D

Logging into BMO Online Banking in Canada

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.