Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'delete some files to make more space'

I have shifted all of my desktop files to iCloud from an old iMac bought 2015, running Yosemite which is showing nearly full storage, with 19 GBs free. Most of the storage is movies (490 GBs) and "other"(229 GBs) of one TB. My back up drive has 2 TB capacity, and is nearly full also. I do have 245 GBs on iTunes, as mp3s. No movies, but I do have videos saved in iCloud. Question: What happens to my iCloud storage from this iMac, if the iMac shuts down? The old iMac is showing signs - real slow, emails not working.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 4:09 PM

Hi Tom Cray,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. To clarify, are you referring to iCloud Drive or only iCloud Photos? Some steps may vary a bit depending on which services you're using.

You should still be able to see content on your other devices if your iMac shuts down. Content would only be deleted from iCloud if deleted from your Mac manually. Which other devices are you using?

If you have another Mac and want to access iCloud Drive files from this Mac, take these steps from Upload and download files from iCloud Drive on iCloud.com.

"Download files

Changes you make to a downloaded file appear only on your computer unless you subsequently upload the file to iCloud Drive.

• In iCloud Drive on iCloud.com, select the files you want to download, then click the Download button in the iCloud Drive toolbar.
  • The files are downloaded to the location specified in your web browser’s settings."

You might also find Download iCloud photos and videos helpful since you mentioned videos. Guidance below is from that article.

"On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. On iCloud.com, tap Photos. 
  2. Tap Select, then tap a photo or video. To select multiple photos or videos, tap more than one. To select your entire library, tap Select All.
  3. Tap the more button  .
  4. Choose Download, then tap Download to confirm. 

If your photos download as a ZIP archive, learn how to uncompress the folder on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

On your Mac or PC

1. On iCloud.com, click Photos and select a photo or video. Hold the command key on your Mac or control key on your PC to select multiple photos or videos. 
  2. Click and hold the download button the iCloud download icon in the upper corner of the window. If you want to download your photo or video as it was originally captured or imported, choose Unmodified Original. For JPEG or H.264 format — including edits, and even if it was originally in HEIF or HEVC format — choose Most Compatible.*
  3. Click Download."

You may also be able to create a Time Machine backup while your Mac is working properly so that you have your data on an external device. Check out Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

All the best.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 4:09 PM in response to Tom Cray

Hi Tom Cray,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. To clarify, are you referring to iCloud Drive or only iCloud Photos? Some steps may vary a bit depending on which services you're using.

You should still be able to see content on your other devices if your iMac shuts down. Content would only be deleted from iCloud if deleted from your Mac manually. Which other devices are you using?

If you have another Mac and want to access iCloud Drive files from this Mac, take these steps from Upload and download files from iCloud Drive on iCloud.com.

"Download files

Changes you make to a downloaded file appear only on your computer unless you subsequently upload the file to iCloud Drive.

• In iCloud Drive on iCloud.com, select the files you want to download, then click the Download button in the iCloud Drive toolbar.
  • The files are downloaded to the location specified in your web browser’s settings."

You might also find Download iCloud photos and videos helpful since you mentioned videos. Guidance below is from that article.

"On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. On iCloud.com, tap Photos. 
  2. Tap Select, then tap a photo or video. To select multiple photos or videos, tap more than one. To select your entire library, tap Select All.
  3. Tap the more button  .
  4. Choose Download, then tap Download to confirm. 

If your photos download as a ZIP archive, learn how to uncompress the folder on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

On your Mac or PC

1. On iCloud.com, click Photos and select a photo or video. Hold the command key on your Mac or control key on your PC to select multiple photos or videos. 
  2. Click and hold the download button the iCloud download icon in the upper corner of the window. If you want to download your photo or video as it was originally captured or imported, choose Unmodified Original. For JPEG or H.264 format — including edits, and even if it was originally in HEIF or HEVC format — choose Most Compatible.*
  3. Click Download."

You may also be able to create a Time Machine backup while your Mac is working properly so that you have your data on an external device. Check out Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

All the best.

Dec 15, 2022 1:05 AM in response to faith185

I have many files and folders, plus MP3s dragged to the iCloud from an old iMac (2015). I have been using some of them on my newer iMac (2019), and an iPod. I have very few photos and at the moment photos are not the question. This is the concern: will my files that are now in the iCloud Drive, which were downloaded to iCloud from the older iMac, still be available once the old computer is no longer working? Or, do I need to do something to preserve them? If so, what? I have downloaded many of them (moved from iCloud) to the newer iMac. Thank you, and I apologize for being vague. Also, I have already upgraded iCloud to 2TBs. I have plenty of space .

Dec 15, 2022 8:59 AM in response to Tom Cray

Tom Cray,

If you're referring specifically to iCloud Drive and other iCloud services, that content should be available on any device that supports iCloud and that you're using with the same Apple ID. You could try signing into the iCloud website using a computer to verify that your content is all available there: iCloud

We hope that answers your question. Let us know!

Cheers.

'delete some files to make more space'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.