Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Monterey - multiple files open in single app not showing previes of all files open like in Windows OS

Hello all

I recently switched over from Windows to Mac on a Macbook Pro mid 2015 model, updated with Monterey OS. In Windows, if I opened multiple files in the same application, in the task bar icon of the application, if I hovered over it, it will show all open files as small previews line up at the bottom. So convenient. Let me make it clear here that it is not multiple instances of the same application. It is multiples files opened in the same application. How do I see this preview on Mac Monterey ? Please help me. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 3:18 AM

On Windows, every document is an application instance. That isn’t how macOS works.

if you want to see all open documents, enter Mission Control for the app. This can be set to a gesture like, “Swipe down with three fingers.”

You can also see them in normal Mission Control and there is an option in the settings to have it stack document windows by application.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2022 3:18 AM in response to PRSS2K

On Windows, every document is an application instance. That isn’t how macOS works.

if you want to see all open documents, enter Mission Control for the app. This can be set to a gesture like, “Swipe down with three fingers.”

You can also see them in normal Mission Control and there is an option in the settings to have it stack document windows by application.

Dec 17, 2022 6:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Hope it solves my issue. At the moment, my Mackbook Pro is at my office. Shall try this out on Monday.

I am having a question unrelated to the above topic. This is a MAC Community. I take this as a Forum. Why is it that whenever I had to sign in, I had to enter a code sent by Apple to one of my Apple devices? I had to enter that code from my iPad since I did not have my Macbook Pro, at the moment and I am replying this from my Windows Home Desktop. I wonder why that verification code is for. We are not doing any money transactions !

Mac Monterey - multiple files open in single app not showing previes of all files open like in Windows OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.