Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just got iPhone 14 — can’t text android phones in group texts

I just got an iPhone 14 and now I cannot text to groups (on Message app) that include an android user.

NOTE: I CAN text to an android user one-on-one/solo/directly, though.

I have checked that the person’s number is not blocked. I have checked that SMS, MMS and group messaging are all toggled ON. iMessage is also toggled ON. (Though I have tried it off and it still doesn’t work to send the group text.)

is this a Verizon thing? Thanks for any advice!

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 5:25 AM

So after a while, this fix worked for me. Might give it a try.

Log in to your Verizon account. Select "Account" at the top of the screen-"My Plan"-"Blocks." After selecting the appropriate line, select "block services"- then toggle on "block picture and video messaging." After saving, wait a minute or two then toggle it back to off. After everything saves, a phone restart may or may not be necessary.

This is after you verify that MMS Messaging and Group Messaging are toggled on in your iphone Messages settings.

This seems to reprovision sms/mms without having to call in.

109 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2022 5:25 AM in response to WholeSelf5

So after a while, this fix worked for me. Might give it a try.

Log in to your Verizon account. Select "Account" at the top of the screen-"My Plan"-"Blocks." After selecting the appropriate line, select "block services"- then toggle on "block picture and video messaging." After saving, wait a minute or two then toggle it back to off. After everything saves, a phone restart may or may not be necessary.

This is after you verify that MMS Messaging and Group Messaging are toggled on in your iphone Messages settings.

This seems to reprovision sms/mms without having to call in.

Dec 22, 2022 1:32 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence Finch! Thanks so much! I contacted Verizon and after 3 hours and two people my phone is fixed. They were very helpful but they had to go through the steps then send me to the second level of tech support. When I mentioned resyncing the MMS the first guy knew about it right away. Apparently the 16.2 upgrade is especially troublesome for the iPhone 14 series but the guy on the line said it happened to his iPone XR and its very much random. But anyway, Verizon fixed it after several resets and testing. I can now do group texts with androids. They also said sometimes it messes up calling and sending/receiving of photos. Thanks again Lawrence!

Mar 20, 2023 8:05 AM in response to makeda241

I was having the same frustrating problem, but my carrier is Verizon so I’m not sure if this will help you.

Here's what I found by googling the problem.  Talk about convoluted and obscure!  Good Luck!

"https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254533009

Group Text IPhone 14 Pro to Android Users

I have a new 14 pro and am no longer able to send photos via text or group text to a mixed use group of Android and IPhone users. HELP?

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 12:57 PM

Me too (2)

Question marked as

Apple recommended

User profile for user: Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch

User level:

Level 10

When you activate an iPhone 14 on Verizon their automated system does not set up MMS correctly. To fix it you need to call Verizon tech support (611 on your phone), tell the nice representative who answers that you need to speak to a senior tech to fix a problem with the provisioning of MMS on your account. This is a universal problem with the iPhone 14 provisioning by Verizon, so the tech should know how to fix it. And hopefully the 1st tier reps will eventually learn also.

Alternative Solution:

Laner84 has posted a do-it-yourself solution that works for most people →Just got iPhone 14 — can’t text android phones in group texts

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254473731?answerId=258423448022#258423448022

This seems to reprovision sms/mms without having to call in"

Mar 20, 2023 9:08 AM in response to makeda241

makeda241 wrote:

I have the IPhone 13 max pro and having issues with group texts with android users. My phone carrier is with Boost so not sure how useful they will be if I have to call tech support. Anyone have any suggestions.

Nibor2929 has provided a reasonable answer, although so far this has been an issue for the iPhone 14 almost exclusively, so that might not be what is causing your problem.

Can you send single texts to android users? If not, then your account has not been set up for MMS messaging.

But there are also a couple of things to check on your phone:

• SMS (text) requires that you have a cellular network voice connection
  • MMS (picture) requires that you have a cellular data connection; it cannot use Wi-Fi

so check that you can make calls, and that Cellular Data is turned on.

Dec 29, 2022 7:22 AM in response to Laner84

WOW well done Laner84!! So happy this works for others without going through the phone hassle. Lawrence Finch was spot on with what to say to Verizon people so it was much easier, but still they had to go through their list of things to try. I might have asked a question in this community years ago but so happy I did as well WholeSelf5!!

Happy New Years! Enjoy your iPhones and your friends with androids!!!

Dec 29, 2022 12:26 PM in response to Laner84

Do you think this might be an option to do because since updating on my iOS to 16.1.2 on my 12 Pro Max I no longer can iMessage my self. I know it sounds trivial but for 11 yrs and 11 yrs of saved messages I txt myself just to jot down things if I’m on the phone or someone if telling me something or a link I want to go back to but not save! Hours on with support not to be able to fix it only to end up with each time going back in to my message it went back & forth between iMessage and SMS then just this past week totally went back to SMS when I went to send a video file that would have went through via iMessage but popped up too big. I didn’t realize everything was green going back the several day but just a few messages. I only get iMessage if I am sending myself something through an app or like a pdf file off a website. I get my 14 Pro Max tomorrow just do not want the same thing to happen nor do I want to mess up how this actually started with the update which was it merging duplicate contacts though I kept declining it when it popped up knowing something was going to mess up between my daughter having access to iMessage myself or other family with iPhones through my icloud email. That I figured out on my own with no thanks to support

Jan 2, 2023 7:44 AM in response to WholeSelf5

I switched from Android to iPhone a few days ago and was greatly frustrated to find that I suddenly couldn't send/receive text messages from groups with Android users. After racking my brain through all potential solutions, I thought I had somehow gotten a lemon phone or something...until I found this post. THANK YOU for the share! It totally fixed the issue!

Just got iPhone 14 — can’t text android phones in group texts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.