Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whatsapp backup stuck

Even after having good network and sufficient iphone storage of more than 100gb, my WhatsApp backup of 7gb is stuck at ‘preparing’ for days. Tried deleting backup and signing out of iCloud and backing up again.but all to no avail. Daily backup also not happening.

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 6:14 PM

6 replies

Dec 19, 2022 10:58 PM in response to kavyavalsan

I understand that you have sufficient free storage on your iPhone. What about available storage space on iCloud? Your WhatsApp backups are being created on your iCloud account and not on your iPhone.

To check the available space on your iCloud account, open Settings ➡️ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➡️ iCloud: Here, at the top, the available storage space on iCloud will be displayed.

Axel F.

Dec 20, 2022 9:41 PM in response to Axel Foley

Iphone 13 with ios 16.2 and yes I have tried backing up to iCloud using wifi. But still same issue persists.Now i come to think of it,the problem started after the recent software update to 16.2. Dont know if it is related though. This has been going on for days now. I have given up and turned off iCloud back up for WhatsApp. I had been using android till this october.Wanted an upgrade and so i thought will go for iphone this time. People warned me there are many issues with iphone. Should have listened to them☹️ because in all these years i have never had this issue with android. Please find a solution.

Dec 22, 2022 10:34 AM in response to kavyavalsan

This has only happened since iOS16.2 and I've heard of many people with this problem, including myself and I have a 14pro. I've got plenty of storage space on iCloud, I've tried toggling WhatsApp off and back on again on iCloud. WhatsApp is on the latest version, and I've been using Wi-Fi to try and backup manually since I've been notified that the automated backup hasn't been done.

This is the first time I've had any issues with an iPhone, and I suppose there will be teething problems with an updated OS, but it's still frustrating.

Jan 20, 2023 5:38 AM in response to Tricia_TD

After searching for a solution to this since my previous post, I found a way that works for me.

Try to do a manual backup. If a few seconds pass and it’s still on “preparing” force close the app QUICKLY and try again. Repeat as necessary and it should work after a few attempts.

Doing it quickly seems to be the trick - don’t wait between attempts.

Whatsapp backup stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.