Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen locking during phone calls

My XR has recently started to lock during phone calls and the screen becomes black and unresponsive. It means I’m unable to end calls so if I’m leaving a voice message they can hear me ranting at my phone! Any advice?

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 3:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 12:56 PM

Hi DeeJ250,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that your iPhone display stops responding while you're on calls.

If you have a screen protector or case on your iPhone, you may consider removing them to test the display as outlined here: If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad

"If your screen is too sensitive or responds intermittently to touch

1. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Make sure that your screen is clean and free of any debris or water.
  3. Disconnect any Lightning or USB-C accessories. If your screen works after removing an accessory, try using a different outlet, cable, or charger.
  4. Remove any cases or screen protectors."

If you still experience the same behavior, you may also consider reaching out to Apple Support directly to investigate this further as your iPhone may require service: Contact Apple Support

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 12:56 PM in response to DeeJ250

Hi DeeJ250,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that your iPhone display stops responding while you're on calls.

If you have a screen protector or case on your iPhone, you may consider removing them to test the display as outlined here: If the screen isn't working on your iPhone or iPad

"If your screen is too sensitive or responds intermittently to touch

1. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Make sure that your screen is clean and free of any debris or water.
  3. Disconnect any Lightning or USB-C accessories. If your screen works after removing an accessory, try using a different outlet, cable, or charger.
  4. Remove any cases or screen protectors."

If you still experience the same behavior, you may also consider reaching out to Apple Support directly to investigate this further as your iPhone may require service: Contact Apple Support

Take care!

Dec 21, 2022 1:08 PM in response to DeeJ250

When you're on a call and you hold the phone up to your head, the screen should go black. That's expected behavior. However, it should light up again when you take it away from your face. It it doesn't you may have a problem with your proximity detector. Remove any case or screen protector you have on the phone and see if that help.

Meanwhile, you can end the call by tapping the power button.

Dec 22, 2022 4:10 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for the reply. I mostly use the phone on speaker so not exclusively an issue with the proximity detector. My husbands XR is doing exactly the same. When the screen goes black there’s no way to end the call other than to wait for the other person to hang up, power button does nothing. Can’t even switch off the phone, it’s completely locking. Will try removing the screen protector and case to see what happens, have had the same for about 18 months though and never previously an issue. Watch this space. 👍

Screen locking during phone calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.