Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video wont crop

I have an old video I want to crop on my IPhone13 in Photos. It looks cropped there but throws an error when I try to save. On my Mac in Photos I select the Crop option but there is not even a crop rectangle & the app will not get out of there and needs to be quit. Other videos work fine. This video appears to play fine, but I may still be dealing with a corrupted video, I will try fixing it in VLC but that didn't work on the last broken one.....

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 4:13 PM

Hi tixrus,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you are trying to crop directly from Photos. Try cropping in iMovie instead to see if that gives you the same result. Guidance below is from Crop clips in iMovie on Mac

"Crop a clip or photo in the timeline

1. In the iMovie app on your Mac, select a clip or photo in the timeline.
  2. To show the cropping controls, click the Cropping button.
  3. Click the Crop to Fill button.

An adjustable frame appears on top of the clip in the viewer.

Note: This frame is constrained to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

4. Move and resize the frame until you’re satisfied with the result.

5. To apply the crop, click the Apply button  in the cropping controls.

The area within the crop frame fills the viewer.

To reset all crop and rotation adjustments, click the Reset button.

If you applied a crop to the clip in the browser before adding the clip to the timeline, that crop is reset as well."

You can also try editing the video from your iPhone. Guidance can be found in How to edit videos on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 4:13 PM in response to tixrus

Hi tixrus,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you are trying to crop directly from Photos. Try cropping in iMovie instead to see if that gives you the same result. Guidance below is from Crop clips in iMovie on Mac

"Crop a clip or photo in the timeline

1. In the iMovie app on your Mac, select a clip or photo in the timeline.
  2. To show the cropping controls, click the Cropping button.
  3. Click the Crop to Fill button.

An adjustable frame appears on top of the clip in the viewer.

Note: This frame is constrained to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

4. Move and resize the frame until you’re satisfied with the result.

5. To apply the crop, click the Apply button  in the cropping controls.

The area within the crop frame fills the viewer.

To reset all crop and rotation adjustments, click the Reset button.

If you applied a crop to the clip in the browser before adding the clip to the timeline, that crop is reset as well."

You can also try editing the video from your iPhone. Guidance can be found in How to edit videos on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.

Take care.

Video wont crop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.