Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firmware password lost, can't perform recovery boot

I have a mac pro 2013-2019 ( ME253CT/A) that was purchased used by a manager years ago. He has moved on, and the original SSD died. I've purchased a new SSD for it, but the screen shows a gray lock and a password entry space. I've found that this is a firmware password, but have no way to talk to the old manager to find out what it is. How do I reset this so we can install a new OS and begin using this beast again?

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2022 5:29 PM

Then you won't be able to remove the firmware lock because you must either know the firmware password, or you must have the proper proof of purchase & valid ID presented to Apple or an AASP so they can remove the firmware lock for you. Otherwise, this Mac will only boot to the internal SSD.

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2022 5:29 PM in response to bkoch709

Then you won't be able to remove the firmware lock because you must either know the firmware password, or you must have the proper proof of purchase & valid ID presented to Apple or an AASP so they can remove the firmware lock for you. Otherwise, this Mac will only boot to the internal SSD.

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

firmware password lost, can't perform recovery boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.