Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 Pro Max is not recognized by my Mac Pro

I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max with up-to-date iOS 16.2 software which is not being recognized/not showing up in the sidebar or on iTunes 12.8.3.1 on my Mac Pro mid-2010 running High Sierra 10.13.8, the latest operating system that can be installed on the computer. I have looked online, and several places have said to go to the Finder Preferences, click on the sidebar, and select the box that says CDs, DVDs, and iOS. Unfortunately, my Sidebar only has the option "Cds, DVDs, and iPods". Does that mean that High Sierra will NOT recognize my iPhone, or is there a way to make it recognized by my Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 6:58 PM

I had to do a number of things:

1. I attached the iPhone to my Macbook and it said that it had to download software to recognize the iPhone. Now, my Mac Pro said the same thing, but something didn't go right with THAT download. I think that THAT was where the major screw-up occurred. After the download, the iPhone DID work with the Macbook, and the Macbook recognized my iPhone in iTunes.
  2. I disconnected the iPhone from the Macbook, and reconnected it to the Mac Pro. With the successful download that happened when connected to the Macbook, my iPhone on the Mac Pro now DID mount on iTunes. It still didn't mount in the Finder sidebar, but as MGoodmanNV noted above, in Catalina 10.15 or later, it mounts on the Finder sidebar, but with any OS older than that it mounts in iTunes.
  3. In iTunes, I clicked on the little iPhone icon near the upper left corner. That puts a new iPhone icon at the top of the iTunes sidebar. I was then able to drag whatever I wanted from inside iTunes (e.g. music, movies) onto that iPhone icon.
  4. Here comes the least intuitive part (at least for me). You have to locate the downloaded files (or at least movies - I didn't try to transfer tunes) in the Apple TV iPhone app. Click on Library at the bottom of the screen in the Apple TV iPhone app, and you'll find the movies there. You can play them from inside that app.

Hope this helps someone else.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 6:58 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I had to do a number of things:

1. I attached the iPhone to my Macbook and it said that it had to download software to recognize the iPhone. Now, my Mac Pro said the same thing, but something didn't go right with THAT download. I think that THAT was where the major screw-up occurred. After the download, the iPhone DID work with the Macbook, and the Macbook recognized my iPhone in iTunes.
  2. I disconnected the iPhone from the Macbook, and reconnected it to the Mac Pro. With the successful download that happened when connected to the Macbook, my iPhone on the Mac Pro now DID mount on iTunes. It still didn't mount in the Finder sidebar, but as MGoodmanNV noted above, in Catalina 10.15 or later, it mounts on the Finder sidebar, but with any OS older than that it mounts in iTunes.
  3. In iTunes, I clicked on the little iPhone icon near the upper left corner. That puts a new iPhone icon at the top of the iTunes sidebar. I was then able to drag whatever I wanted from inside iTunes (e.g. music, movies) onto that iPhone icon.
  4. Here comes the least intuitive part (at least for me). You have to locate the downloaded files (or at least movies - I didn't try to transfer tunes) in the Apple TV iPhone app. Click on Library at the bottom of the screen in the Apple TV iPhone app, and you'll find the movies there. You can play them from inside that app.

Hope this helps someone else.

iPhone 14 Pro Max is not recognized by my Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.