Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook Air trackpad and keyboard stop working after sleep mode

Every time my M1 Macbook Air goes into sleep mode or when I close the lid and open back again, the keyboard and trackpad stop working - they freeze. It's a brand new MacBook Air.- It's up to date with OS update currently running Mac OS Ventura - As soon as I restart the laptop the issue goes away, but as soon as it goes to sleep the same issue again.

I tried to restart in safe mode but the issue is still showing up. Any help is much appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 6:17 AM

2 replies

Dec 27, 2022 7:39 AM in response to Rupert_VonHinten

Hi Rupert_VonHinten,

You mentioned that the issue happens in safe mode too. Based on that information, we recommend following the steps mentioned below, as it could possibly help resolve this trackpad and keyboard issue:

"If the issue continues in safe mode

If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date."

That information is from the following article: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support Reinstalling macOS can possibly resolve any issues that might be happening with the current macOS installed on your MacBook Air.

Before reinstalling, please make sure to back up your MacBook Air as seen in this article: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support Reinstalling macOS shouldn't erase your data, but we always recommend having a backup especially when making changes to a device like this.

Take care!

M1 Macbook Air trackpad and keyboard stop working after sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.