📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable scroll-to-top when finger barely touches iPhone menu bar

Dozens of times each day, as I’m reading a webpage or app content, the page suddenly scrolls all the way to the top. This is because the puffy underside of my finger barely touches on of the top corners (the menu bar, near battery indicator or clock).

This only became an issue on this iPhone 13, my first with a touchscreen that extends all the way to the top (rather than having a blank area at top for cameras, etc.).

Is this supposed to be a feature ? Who asked for this ? Can it be disabled? Can it require a double-tap at the top of the screen to automatically scroll all the way up, rather than the lightest grazing from the underside of my finger as I hold the phone as I always have ?

At this point, I’d gladly give up the top centimeter of screen (and the notch) to cease this frustration.

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 9:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 6:14 PM

I use many of the advanced touchscreen features -- touch holds, swipe gestures, single/multiple finger actions, etc. -- I do not want to disable my ability to use those features in order to resolve this remarkably annoying and unhelpful function.

There needs to be a way to disable the "jump to the top of whatever app I'm in" response (scroll to top) when any part of my finger accidentally grazes the status bar at the top of the screen -- an area that is static and not even related to the app I'm using.

Many other entries in this community with other users frustrated by this "feature":

I found this discussion in the Developer documentation addressing this feature and seeming to indicate a way to turn it off ... though perhaps for only one App ? It needs to be universally disable-able.

Instance Property: scrollsToTop - A Boolean value that controls whether the scroll-to-top gesture is enabled

Please help.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2023 6:14 PM in response to K_Faith

I use many of the advanced touchscreen features -- touch holds, swipe gestures, single/multiple finger actions, etc. -- I do not want to disable my ability to use those features in order to resolve this remarkably annoying and unhelpful function.

There needs to be a way to disable the "jump to the top of whatever app I'm in" response (scroll to top) when any part of my finger accidentally grazes the status bar at the top of the screen -- an area that is static and not even related to the app I'm using.

Many other entries in this community with other users frustrated by this "feature":

I found this discussion in the Developer documentation addressing this feature and seeming to indicate a way to turn it off ... though perhaps for only one App ? It needs to be universally disable-able.

Instance Property: scrollsToTop - A Boolean value that controls whether the scroll-to-top gesture is enabled

Please help.

Dec 28, 2022 12:49 PM in response to chrispdx2k

Hello chrispdx2k,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with scrolling on your iPhone. Try adjusting your touch settings as outlined here to see if it helps: Adjust how iPhone responds to your touch

"Adjust settings for taps, swipes, and multiple touches

1. Go to Settings  > Accessibility > Touch > Touch Accommodations, then turn on Touch Accommodations.
  2. You can configure iPhone to do any of the following:
    • Respond to touches of a certain duration: Turn on Hold Duration, then tap the Decrement button or the Increment button to adjust the duration. (The default is 0.10 seconds.)
    • Prevent unintended swipe gestures: To increase the amount of movement required before a swipe gesture begins, tap Swipe Gestures, turn on Swipe Gestures, then adjust required movement.
    • Treat multiple touches as a single touch: Turn on Ignore Repeat, then tap the Decrement button or the Increment button to adjust the amount of time allowed between multiple touches.
  • Respond to the first or last place you touch: Choose Use Initial Touch Location or Use Final Touch Location.
    • If you choose Use Initial Touch Location, iPhone uses the location of your first tap—when you tap an app on the Home Screen, for example. If you choose Use Final Touch Location, iPhone registers the tap where you lift your finger. iPhone responds to a tap when you lift your finger within a certain period of time. Tap the Decrement button or the Increment button to adjust the timing. Your device can respond to other gestures, such as a drag gesture, if you wait longer than the gesture delay.

Adjust settings for touch-and-hold gestures

The touch-and-hold gesture reveals content previews, actions, and contextual menus. If you have trouble performing this gesture, do the following:

1. Go to Settings  > Accessibility > Touch, then tap Haptic Touch or 3D & Haptic Touch.
  2. Choose the touch duration—Fast or Slow.
  3. On an iPhone with 3D Touch, you can also choose the pressure needed—Light, Medium, or Firm.
  4. Test the new setting on the image at the bottom of the screen.

Turn off Tap to Wake

On a supported iPhone model, you can prevent touches on the display from waking iPhone. Go to Settings  > Accessibility > Touch, then turn off Tap to Wake.

Turn off Shake to Undo

If you tend to unintentionally shake iPhone, you can turn off Shake to Undo. Go to Settings  > Accessibility > Touch.

Tip: To undo text edits, swipe left with three fingers."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Disable scroll-to-top when finger barely touches iPhone menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.