Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Finder window follow me to other spaces?

First off, I have "Assign To" set to "None" under Finder options in the dock, so that's not it.

This is very easy to reproduce with 100% reliability (for me)...so if you try these steps and it doesn't happen to you, then it must be some weird configuration on my machine rather than a MacOS, Mission Control, or Finder bug.

To reproduce:

• Must have several spaces already set up. I have 16 spaces (settings below)
  • Make sure there are no other Finder windows open.
  • Pick a space and open a Finder window.
  • Click cmd-t to open a new tab.
  • Now, switch to another space. I use keyboard shortcuts (see 2nd screenshot).

For me, this always causes the Finder window to follow me to the next space I choose, but not every space thereafter, just the once. When the Finder window has followed me, it always focuses back on the 1st tab. To make it follow again, just click a tab that's not the 1st, switch spaces and it follows and switches back to the 1st tab.

With more than 1 Finder window open, it still sometimes follows me but it seems less predictable without putting a lot more time into it.

I do use TotalSpaces, which is incredibly unreliable right now, but for all this testing I've quit TotalSpaces - it's not running.

If this problem is because of TotalSpaces, then maybe it configured something badly, or did something else that would affect things without TS actually running.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Mission Control Spaces Settings:

Keyboard Shortcuts for the first 11 of 16 spaces:

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 11:11 AM

I would try not just quitting but uninstalling Total Spaces - you do say it’s been unreliable. If the problem disappears you will know.

I can’t reproduce this but I also never tried make so many Spaces, so there may be an issue that is only triggered by having some number of Spaces.

Similar questions

1 reply

Why does Finder window follow me to other spaces?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.