Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you select a different network for a HomePod?

I need to move my kitchen HomePad from my 2.4 ghz network to my 5 ghz network because of interference from my microwave.

The instructions on support.Apple.com tell you to select “move HomePod to [network name]” in the HomePod’s settings in the Home app. But I do not see that option anywhere. Suggestions welcome.

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 7:24 AM

Your HomePod should be able to connect to any network known to your setup device via iCloud Keychain. You'll only get a prompt to move to a new network if the network it has been connecting to is no longer available, and another one is. Forgetting the credentials for the 2.4GHz network on your phone, allowing time for data to update, and then temporarily turning off the 2.4GHz network might work.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 7:24 AM in response to Twitchly

Your HomePod should be able to connect to any network known to your setup device via iCloud Keychain. You'll only get a prompt to move to a new network if the network it has been connecting to is no longer available, and another one is. Forgetting the credentials for the 2.4GHz network on your phone, allowing time for data to update, and then temporarily turning off the 2.4GHz network might work.

tt2

Dec 30, 2022 12:24 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. Can you tell me more about what you mean when you say “Your HomePod should be able to connect to any network known to your setup device via iCloud Keychain”?

My iPhone, which I used to set up my HomePods, can easily switch between my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. I can’t figure out how to get the HomePod to do it. Switching the phone to the 5 GHz network does not have any impact on the HomePod.

If there truly is no easier way, I can try to shut down the 2.4 GHz network (though I have no idea how to do this, nor how to bring it back). Seems like a pretty kludgy thing to have to do for something so easy on other devices.

How do you select a different network for a HomePod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.